PDA

View Full Version : To bed or not to bed...

SteelerNation
01-28-2015, 02:24 PM
Hi guys:

I have a Savage 12 F/TR. It is pillar bedded from the factory and I have seen some say that glass bedding in addition is a good way to eek out some added accuracy. I contacted my gunsmith and he told me that he wouldn't want to bed my stock for me unless he did some preliminary testing to see if it is worth it. Basically, be said that out of the box, the pillar bedding is more than enough and that by him doing the glass bedding may simply be a waste of money on my part. He said the pillars in the gun right now should be fine.

He is basically trying to save me some money here, which I appreciate. He said that in order to see if it would do anything he would need to take it to the range and test it out by temporarily free floating the barrel to see what effect it has on accuracy.

Anyone here have any opinions on the matter? Is it worth is on my platform?

Thanks,

Mike

wbm
01-28-2015, 06:04 PM
I agree with your gunsmith.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/08/savage-f-tr-team-world-beaters-on-a-budget/

D.ID
01-28-2015, 08:15 PM
"temporarily free floating the barrel"??????????
What do you mean temporarily?
As a general rule for myself: if it's not pulled down in a V-block: Bed it if you want all she has.
Of course that perspective was born from experience proving a bedding job costs a couple hours and about $5 in material, so expense is not a factor.

SteelerNation
01-29-2015, 11:13 AM
"temporarily free floating the barrel"??????????
What do you mean temporarily?
As a general rule for myself: if it's not pulled down in a V-block: Bed it if you want all she has.
Of course that perspective was born from experience proving a bedding job costs a couple hours and about $5 in material, so expense is not a factor.

There is a trick he explained how I can do it, and to be honest, I didnt catch it all because it seemed a bit to difficult to do on my part. I'm sorry I can't explain it, because I knew that comment would garner attention. lol...

Thanks for the comment though!

SteelerNation
01-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the comment!