PDA

View Full Version : Boyds Stock colors

Bigeclipse
01-28-2015, 11:31 AM
All,
My wife has picked out that she wants a boyds stock in either purple or blue color wood finish. It is hard to make out what the standard finish looks like compared to their high gloss finish from their little pictures. I was hoping if any of you have purchased the blue or purple color in either glossy or regular finish, could you post pictures of your rifles. It doesn't even have to be a savage rifle. Just trying to get an idea of what these colors look like in person. If you do post a pic, could you please comment what color it is and whether it is glossy or not. thank you all!

Hotolds442
01-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Sky Blue, standard finish.
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y471/chevypowrd/Rifles/4a10a07ea7254ee4ba1639cb2e7de42c_zpsd4a12f05.jpg

Bigeclipse
01-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Sky Blue, standard finish.
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y471/chevypowrd/Rifles/4a10a07ea7254ee4ba1639cb2e7de42c_zpsd4a12f05.jpg

very nice looking rifle! Does the standard finish feel smooth or textured? Thanks for the pic!

Bigeclipse
01-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Anyone have a pic of a glossy finished boyds blue stock so I can make a comparison?

Hotolds442
01-28-2015, 03:40 PM
The stock has a smooth feel to it, i'd say similar to a 320 grit sanded finish which is then satin varnished.

Bigeclipse
01-28-2015, 04:53 PM
The stock has a smooth feel to it, i'd say similar to a 320 grit sanded finish which is then satin varnished.

Thanks, I really appreciate your responses

Bigeclipse
01-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Any others out there who can post up pics?

J.Baker
01-30-2015, 05:58 PM
The standard finish is similar to the finish on a factory laminate stock. It's essentially a semi-gloss finish. The high gloss is basically the same as an automotive grade clear coat in that it's thick and as glossy as it gets. My general rule of thumb is that if it's solely for competition or punching paper, and you want it to look as good as possible, go with the high gloss. If it will ever be used for hunting of any kind, or you don't like flashy things, go with the standard finish. If you still can't decide, flip a coin.

Bigeclipse
01-30-2015, 06:14 PM
The standard finish is similar to the finish on a factory laminate stock. It's essentially a semi-gloss finish. The high gloss is basically the same as an automotive grade clear coat in that it's thick and as glossy as it gets. My general rule of thumb is that if it's solely for competition or punching paper, and you want it to look as good as possible, go with the high gloss. If it will ever be used for hunting of any kind, or you don't like flashy things, go with the standard finish. If you still can't decide, flip a coin.
Ah ok...my confusion is on boyds website the high gloss colors look different than standard finishes almost like they use different colors. That's why I asked if people would post so we could see what the difference in color looked from standard to gloss but if they don't actually change...just the shinyness is all that changes then we will go with regular finish.

Hotolds442
01-30-2015, 07:15 PM
The high gloss finish seems to make the black laminates look very black, while the satin finish leaves them looking almost gray. I'm sure all of the laminar colors are changed in the same fashion.

J.Baker
01-30-2015, 09:52 PM
The difference in color appearance or strength in photos is mostly a lighting issue. Due to the various curves on a stock one's always trying to turn it just so to get a picture with the least amount of glare or flash burst. Editing also will affect this as changing the brightness, saturation, hue, and color balance will all affect the colors appearance and strength. Add individual computer monitor properties and user-defined settings and the variables are almost mind numbing.

Having seen most all of the laminate color combinations being offered in my frequent visits to Fred's shop, and all the photo's I've tried to take of said stocks for their website over the years I've become somewhat of an expert on this particular annoyance. lol

Bigeclipse
01-30-2015, 10:13 PM
The difference in color appearance or strength in photos is mostly a lighting issue. Due to the various curves on a stock one's always trying to turn it just so to get a picture with the least amount of glare or flash burst. Editing also will affect this as changing the brightness, saturation, hue, and color balance will all affect the colors appearance and strength. Add individual computer monitor properties and user-defined settings and the variables are almost mind numbing.

Having seen most all of the laminate color combinations being offered in my frequent visits to Fred's shop, and all the photo's I've tried to take of said stocks for their website over the years I've become somewhat of an expert on this particular annoyance. lol

So then what you are saying is really the main difference in say the sky blue stock in glossy vs regular finish is simply that and that the color blue itself will still be very similar just one stock will be really shiny finish while the other won't so much.

FW Conch
01-31-2015, 03:33 PM
Yes! :-)

Edit ... You can get a good idea of the difference by looking at them on the Stocky's site. I bought a few stocks from them back when they were reasonabley competitive, but lately their prices on laminents are way over the top. So it's Boyd's for me :-)

J.Baker
01-31-2015, 09:06 PM
The thing you have to remember with colored laminate is that the color is never really consistent from board to board or batch to batch. What I mean by that is that the color is a dye and it is absorbed into the wood, so the makeup of each 1/8" thick layer of wood being dyed and laminated together is going to absorb the dye a little differently and in slightly different amounts. For this reason sometimes you'll get a laminate blank where the colors look somewhat faded or dull - an indication that they simply didn't absorb the dye as well. Darker colors will naturally look lighter/duller before the finish is applied as well. Black will actually look like a medium to dark gray. Red will look a little more pinkish. Dark blue will look like a medium blue. You get the ideal.

As for prices, I have a feeling you'll see Boyds going up once they burn through their current supply of laminate blanks. Rutland Plywood, the main source for colored laminates, was destroyed in a fire last fall and the owner is not going to rebuild. As such the supply and availability of laminate plywood for blanks is greatly diminished as most everyone else who was doing it only did it in small quantities. I'm sure someone will step up and fill the void, but who and when that will be no one really knows.