PDA

View Full Version : Centerfire Date of Manufacture help

danstonex
01-27-2015, 02:07 PM
Gentlemen,
Does any know when my Savage 110 Single Shot was built? The serial number is: 105058. The rifle came to me configured as a highly modified target rifle, no original barrel or stock. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Dan Stone

J.Baker
01-27-2015, 08:09 PM
The lack of a letter at the start of the serial number puts it in the 1959-1968 range. However, Savage never cataloged a single-shot 110 model during those years, only repeaters.

danstonex
01-28-2015, 08:33 AM
I thought this action was something special as I had never seen a single shot Savage of this vintage before. The action has a small stamp on the bottom which reads: "Obermeyer, Racine, Wis." Boots Obermeyer is a famous barrel maker and I wonder if Savage made a run of these actions for him? Is there any way I can get more information on this action? Does Savage maintain a historian?

J.Baker
01-30-2015, 06:15 PM
Savage doesn't have a historian - they've been bought/sold so many times over the years that they won't even sell parts for any gun made before Nov. 1, 1995 when Ron Coburn and his investment group acquired the company. Closest thing to a Savage historian we have is this guy, but I'm not sure if his records and information will go up into the early 1960's when this action would have been made.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?20849-Lettering-a-vintage-Savage-firearm

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would be interested in seeing some nice detailed photo's of this action.

Jeff518
01-31-2015, 09:18 AM
When were the first 112 actions introduced? They were the intermediate length (4.5" action screw spacing), and single shot/no mag cutouts. And the first intermediate actions were labeled model 110

What is your action screw spacing?

J.Baker
01-31-2015, 09:54 AM
The first Model 112's came out in the late 1970's. The lack of a letter prefix on the S/N puts his action in the 1958-1968 range, and given it's a 6-digit number it's going to fall in the latter part of that range.

J.Baker
01-31-2015, 09:56 AM
Which style bolt-head does this action have?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/FAQs/BoltComparison2.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/FAQs/BoltComparison1.jpg~original

Mad Dog
01-31-2015, 01:35 PM
That serial number will put it in 1967, probably has a (29U) date code on it somewhere but definitely a custom job.

corleone000
02-08-2016, 08:11 PM
I also have a single shot (no mag well cut into action) savage rifle with serial number 108***. It has been rebarrelled with a full-bull barrel in 243. Therefore, I don't have any barrel markings that would help ID the manufacturing date.

What makes me curious is the first couple posts that stated that there was no record of single-shot actions made in 1967-1968...when it appears, from this post, there are at least two of them. Mine has the modern bolt face, not the recessed older version.

I bought this rifle from Gander Mountain as a used rifle...didn't know it was a single shot until I held it in my hands. I was planning on making a range rifle chambered in 6.5x55 AI. The gun appears to have had extensive work (bedding, etc.). Maybe I ought to run some 243 through it before I change it up. The 6.5 barrel I have was made with a full bull contour as well, so it's a easy change.

Does anyone else have anything they could share about this? I would greatly appreciate any information anyone could share.

Thank you,
Adam

Mad Dog
02-09-2016, 12:57 PM
Mr. Furious was correct in his first post. There are no "catalogued" single shot rifles in 67-68.

Savage was however making single shot rifles for CIL called the 950T. Basically it was a target rifle made for Canadian Industries Ltd.

I think that's what you guys have except they won't be stamped with the CIL names, I think Savage must have made a run of SS's for themselves and didn't market them to the public, most likely to F class guys.

corleone000
02-10-2016, 01:14 PM
I looked up the CIL 950T (Canadian Industries, Limited) savage rifle and saw a couple examples. That's the rifle. The action has the mounting holes for the rear peep sight and the knurled BAS. I wonder if the rarity makes them any more valuable? Mine has been modified from the original configuration, though. I'm happy to have it and look forward to building a nice rifle on the action.
Thank you for your response.