PDA

View Full Version : Shaw barrel for 6.5x47

noname
01-26-2015, 08:59 PM
Thinking of putting together a 6.5x47 on my 200 action..
Having a thin wallet I am concerding a Shaw varmit
barrel,,(chrom moly)...in 8 twist...In you honest
opinion what do you think of my idea so far....Also
have a Boyds thunbhole stock on order..Been over
a month so far..Anyway,,,,lets hear your remarks on this..
I understan the chrome moly is a good barrel:very_drunk::very_drunk::very_drunk::very_dr unk::very_drunk:

Robinhood
01-26-2015, 09:28 PM
If I had a thin wallet I would be thinking 243. Great long range potential, ammo everywhere, game dropping ability is good.

darkker
01-26-2015, 11:28 PM
Do a search for posts started by me, I'm to lazy to link for you right now :cool:
I have a Marlin X7 I put a stainless Shaw in Creedmoor on this summer. Without remembering how many posts are here verses Shootersforum, here is the gist.
That barrel (came from GunShack) had a slightly "tight" spot near the muzzle when I first cleaned it prior to firing my first round. It wasn't a holy crap spot, but noticeable. Like every Shaw I've purchased, this one shoots. Factory ammo (hey, I needed SOME brass) puts 5 rounds into one hole. That rifle shoots groups against Painless, at a mile. That rifle also wears an un-bedded, un-pillared, Boyds, with a PA scope.

So my point you ask? Just because someone doesn't buy the "Cool" names, doesn't mean it's junk. At this point in my life, I'm a very good shooter. That was not always the case, I have loaded and tested more rounds than many folks ever will. My thought was always: if I can't out-shoot my equipment, why pay for it. What is more upsetting, buying a ticket to watch David Copperfield but having to watch... Larry the great; or expecting to see Larry the (not so) Great.

It seems to me that the bulk of the shooters out there don't have the ability to shoot to their equipments potential, even most factory rifles. If having a barrel crafted by 16 vestel virgins makes you happy, Fantastic!! I'll drink in celebration with you!
Otherwise, buy the Shaw.

Robinhood
01-26-2015, 11:49 PM
OP, Do you reload? What is your experience level as a shooter/rifleman?

I'll add that I too have a Shaw in 7mm08 that is one of the best shooting barrels I own. I have no beef with Shaw barrels.

noname
01-27-2015, 08:10 AM
yes I have been reloading 40 plus years.....being retired and fighting cancer,is a good reason to buy a lower cost
barrel if one needs to..appreciate all the replies to date...I thought about the 243,but the barrels don't last that
long,as I too well know....This build I am dreaming of will be for 300 yards match shooting..I have won several
match's in the past..Or at least came out as the top bragger...Shot 17 years on the marine team.So I have
some experince....Just a thin wallet...lmao:devilish:

:noidea:a

seanhagerty
01-27-2015, 08:47 AM
Any of the 6.5's will work well for you. If you think you may not feel up to reloading, but still want t oshoot, the 6.5 creemoor will be your ticket. Otherwise, you have a winner of a combo there.

noname
01-27-2015, 09:20 AM
thought about the creedmoor as well...heard it was a barrel burner?

FW Conch
01-27-2015, 09:50 AM
I don't see any reason why the 6.5Creedmore would be any more of a barrel burner than the 260Rem, and the 260Rem "is not" a barrel burner.

yobuck
01-27-2015, 10:11 AM
From an accuracy standpoint the 6.5x47 would the best choice in the 6.5 lineup.
And, i have a good friend who topeled an antelope at 800+ yards with his.
As for chrome moly it will rust easier if you dont apply some type finish than stainless will.
Ive never used a Shaw but wouldnt hesitate as ive not heard poor reports on them.
As for marines bragging that just the nature of the beast.
My suggestion is buy and enjoy.

Stockrex
01-27-2015, 10:37 AM
yes I have been reloading 40 plus years.....being retired and fighting cancer,is a good reason to buy a lower cost
barrel if one needs to..appreciate all the replies to date...I thought about the 243,but the barrels don't last that
long,as I too well know....This build I am dreaming of will be for 300 yards match shooting..I have won several
match's in the past..Or at least came out as the top bragger...Shot 17 years on the marine team.So I have
some experince....Just a thin wallet...lmao:devilish:

:noidea:a

I always think value, like you I don't have an unlimited budget.

I have 3 shaw barrels I bought off gunshack when they first opened. I have not mounted them yet due to lack of effort.
From what I have read:
1. they shoot fine,
2. bit rough in the inside, which shows up when cleaning.

I say go for it, if you get a great deal!

BarrelBurner
01-27-2015, 10:24 PM
The 3 Shaw barrels I have will typically do 1/2 MOA and better at 100yds with hand loads. The 6.5CM and the .280AI run .4-.5 MOA and the 6.5 Grendel is good for .2-.3 MOA when the trigger man is on his game.

I will agree that cleaning is where the main difference seems to be. I rarely get copper out of the Shilens, a little out of the McGowens but I have to work on the Shaw barrels a little more to get the copper out. But I have to give the Shaw barrels a thumbs up.

LHitchcox
01-28-2015, 10:35 PM
thought about the creedmoor as well...heard it was a barrel burner?

The 6.5 CM is not a barrel burner. My only experience with Shaw barrels is a .250 Savage that I bought last fall and installed on a Savage short action. The barrel has really nice bluing and is very accurate. The rifling is very smooth and clean up is simple. Since Shaw retooled about 15 years ago they have been making some really nice inexpensive barrels. Most people who kick about them have not used them or used the earlier generation that had some issues.

noname
02-06-2015, 04:33 PM
thanks for all you replies..Time to do some more thinking I guess..300 yards is about the max we shoot without driving a couple hours or more...

Newsshooter
02-06-2015, 04:52 PM
I just picked up a LRP barreled action that had been re-chambered to 6.5X47. I has less than a hundred rounds through it. I'm going to be building a .223 for my nephew to shoot so I don't need the barrel if you're interested. If not I'll just ream it to 6.5 CM and use it later when I wear my original barrel out. I have about 2000 rounds through my LRP in 6.5 and it still shoots 1/2 MOA if I do my part.

earl39
02-13-2015, 01:20 PM
Ok let's see what we can come up with here.
300 yards max
No barrel burner
6.5/.264 caliber
cheap to shoot
you do reload
must be accurate
6.5 Grendel approx 30 grains powder
260 remington approx 41 grains powder
6.5 creedmoor approx 40 grains powder
6.5x47 Lapua approx 34 grains powder

All loads with 123gr bullet and not the same powders

Shaw makes a really good barrel in all the calibers mentions so far and any of them are target shooting accurate but the Grendel is the cheapest to shoot after the initial layout of cash on components. And that is the real difference in the Grendel, Lapua, Creed, or Remington. Cost of shooting. Any shooting done under about 500 yards will only show a little difference in accuracy and that should be in the wind due to bullet speed.