PDA

View Full Version : 243 Win vs AI

Pages : [1] 2

handirifle
01-26-2015, 02:14 AM
I am seriously considering switching my go-to deer rifle from my trusty '06 to my 243. I have 2 rifles, one is an older "J" series, factory 243, with a 20" barrel, the other is a model 11 that was factory 223, now 243, 22" barrel. I will use either a Nosler 95gr partition, or a Barnes TSX or TTSX bullet. I am not worried about caliber selection or its ability to handle deer.

I am making the switch in a big reason for cost of loading since powders are getting hard to come by as well.

What I am thinking of is the case stretch for the 243, and from what I read the slight gain in accuracy and speed vs the 243. The speed isn't a big concern, accuracy gains are always welcome. What I would do, since I have to save the $$$ for it anyway, is shoot std for now, and then buy a longer (24") higher quality barrel, with a faster twist, like 1-8 or 7.5, and rebarrel it to the AI at that time.

As I mentions, my main reasons are case life and accuracy. Is it worth it? Would it be worth it to rechamber a 22" factory sporter barrel (which I already have) to the AI? If I bought a new barrel I would go 24" just to gain a little speed.

The vast majority of my shots will be under 300yds. Everything I have read on other sites says do it, but wondering what you guys think?

handirifle
01-26-2015, 02:30 AM
Any feeding issues with the 243AI?

FW Conch
01-26-2015, 09:46 AM
JMHO ... As far as cost and savings ... NO !

The guys who say yes want the speed, and maybe the "cool" factor.

The cheapest way to go is to shoot the 243 you already have. I have never saved enough money on powder or cases to pay for a new build! But that hasn't stopped me! :-)

I to am limited to 300yds, so my latest build is a 6.5 Gremlin. My logic, why shoot 1,000yds worth of powder at a 300yd target? But I don't expect to save enough money to pay for the build. Still, no regrets :-)

This is just Me ... Just Sayin! :-) ... Good Luck ... Jim

seanhagerty
01-26-2015, 09:49 AM
I have read a bit about the 'AI' chamberings. I have always been reluctant due to the added cost of needing new dies. I wonder how much of an increase in barrel life you would see from the AI chambering.

stomp442
01-26-2015, 10:43 AM
There are two types of people in the world. Those who love Ackley's and those who don't. I happen to love all mine. 243AI is pretty common, dies should be a reasonable price. The added performance of an Ackley case is awesome but the nicest thing with one is very rarely having to trim.

Jamie
01-26-2015, 12:26 PM
If I had everything for a .243 Win then I wouldn't re chamber. If buying a new barrel then I always choose the improved version.

handirifle
01-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the replies, and honesty.

I will go as planned with the existing 243's I have, and if and when the funds come up, I will re-evaluate the re-barrel and to the Ackley. Never owned one, so it might be "cool" to have one. The powder savings wasn't to pay for the AI, but more to keep control of the powder I have. Darn near impossible to get anything here.

wbm
01-26-2015, 12:41 PM
Good comparison here.

http://www.6mmbr.com/243win.html

handirifle
01-26-2015, 01:07 PM
That's a good article, thanks. He's also the first anyone mentioned possible feeding issues with the AI. These will be hunting rifles, so that is very important for me.

Luke45
01-26-2015, 01:23 PM
i love ackleys, fireform than neck size, thats it. better brass life, less trimming, ect. if you fireform and necksize anyway, why not akcley it?

handirifle
01-26-2015, 10:51 PM
Well I have to admit, I had not looked at die prices before posting this. All I can say is WOW! Those prices are insane. I guess I will be sticking with the plain jane 243. Thanks for all the good feedback though.

Londerko
01-27-2015, 11:57 AM
You use a regular 243 Lee collet die for a 243 AI

handirifle
01-27-2015, 04:00 PM
How does that work. Neck size only? This is for a hunting rifle and am a little concerned with feeding issues.

Londerko
01-27-2015, 04:38 PM
Exactly,
I neck size for all my hunting rifles. Brass will last 10X longer, FL sizing will stretch and overwork your brass, which is what your trying to avoid by doing the AI in the first place. AI and Lee collet are the perfect combo for extreme brass life. it would be silly to own an AI and FL size in my opinion.

Luke45
01-27-2015, 05:15 PM
Handirifle, what londerko said is true. i own a few ackleys and only neck size, no feeding issues. just use a collet die to neck size every time, and after 6-8 firing when they get tight in the chamber just bump the shoulder back with a 25$ redding body die.

I believe boots told me one time he got 25 ish fireings out of his 243 AI brass

handirifle
01-27-2015, 08:14 PM
OK, never owned a Ackley cartridge, so I wasn't sure how reloading those cases worked.

Luke, do you mean a Redding AI body die? Those two dies would make it reasonable. Would I also need new go/no-go gauges for the Ackley? Would I rent a reamer and just set the barrel back?

Luke45
01-27-2015, 08:18 PM
OK, never owned a Ackley cartridge, so I wasn't sure how reloading those cases worked.

Luke, do you mean a Redding AI body die? Those two dies would make it reasonable. Would I also need new go/no-go gauges for the Ackley? Would I rent a reamer and just set the barrel back?

Yes a reddng 243 ai "body die" it just bumps everything a few thou. And your 243 go gauge turns into a 243 ai no go it's just 4 thou crush fit compared to parent cartridge.

handirifle
01-27-2015, 08:22 PM
IF I ream a barrel, do I then set the barrel back to where it will "just" not close on the new no-go gauge? Swapped barrels many times, just not on an AI and not without a go gauge.

handirifle
01-27-2015, 08:35 PM
OK did some more reading. Would using a std fired 243 case work as the go gauge? It seems like I read that's what folks do. No?

Londerko
01-27-2015, 08:36 PM
Lee collet die and readding body die are an awesome duo. Body die is a FL without internal parts and doesn't touch the neck, that's where the Lee collet comes in. Both are very reasonabley priced.