PDA

View Full Version : Savage LRP scope mount

tacticalpanda
01-25-2015, 04:02 PM
Just a quick question. Just ordered a 12LRP. I know the action is different/beefier but does this take the same scope mounts as the model 10's? Was looking at a TPS mounts (what I have on my model 10's) and it lists almost all of the Model 12's saying they don't fit. Just want to be sure before I order. Thanks!

I actually found a few posts. Looks like my options are EGW, Ken Ferrel, Warne, and weavers standard mount. Or I need to grind off the recoil lug.

choclabs
01-25-2015, 06:08 PM
You may find what you need at Farrel he has a good selection - http://kenfarrell.com/

What caliber LRP did you choose?

tacticalpanda
01-25-2015, 06:16 PM
You may find what you need at Farrel he has a good selection - http://kenfarrell.com/

What caliber LRP did you choose?

Cool thanks. It looks like it should fit the model 12. I decided on 260 rem. I was back and forth between 6.5 creedmoor and 260, but what it came down to is reloading. Plus Southwest Ammo has loaded ammo and they use lapua brass. Honestly I don't think I could have chosen wrong either way. I don't think 6.5 is going anywhere but I like the idea that I can always use 243 or 308 brass for 260 if that ever happens.

choclabs
01-25-2015, 07:18 PM
Please keep me posted on how it ends up shooting for you, as I have my eyes on that exact rifle as a donor. I would like to take that action and put a 22-24in .260 Rem match grade in lt varmint contour. Also trade out the stock to see if I could find a good Monte Carlo that would fit. I really appreciate the tip re: SW Ammo reloading with Lapua brass. I d not yet re-load, but just bought my wife a 6.8 SPC upper. So if I get into the .260 Rem the quality brass availability would also tip me towards that caliber for exactly the same reason you made the decision, more quality brass available. I know for sure that I am keeping all of my 6.8 brass and if I get another rifle that costs about a dollar per trigger pull, then I'll start learning how to re-load for sure.

Steelhead
01-25-2015, 07:25 PM
Get a mount with at least 20 moa, more if you plan to really stretch it out.
Some scopes get goofy when they are at the limits of travel so plan for that also.

My 11 in 260 uses a 20moa EGW and I can dial to 1400ish depending on air but am at the bottom of reticle at 1600+
Of course bullets, speed and scope make a difference also.
My scope has 65moa of total travel.

The Farrel stuff looks top notch and seems to have a really good reputation.

tacticalpanda
01-25-2015, 08:12 PM
Please keep me posted on how it ends up shooting for you, as I have my eyes on that exact rifle as a donor. I would like to take that action and put a 22-24in .260 Rem match grade in lt varmint contour. Also trade out the stock to see if I could find a good Monte Carlo that would fit. I really appreciate the tip re: SW Ammo reloading with Lapua brass. I d not yet re-load, but just bought my wife a 6.8 SPC upper. So if I get into the .260 Rem the quality brass availability would also tip me towards that caliber for exactly the same reason you made the decision, more quality brass available. I know for sure that I am keeping all of my 6.8 brass and if I get another rifle that costs about a dollar per trigger pull, then I'll start learning how to re-load for sure.

Will keep you updated once I get it set up.

My worry is the part under the mount that goes up against the action(inside the ejection port). I really don't want to start to file stuff off to get it to sit right.

Newsshooter
02-04-2015, 10:58 AM
I have Farrel bases on both my LRP's. He makes nice stuff, nice rings too, but I usually use Seekins rings. To me the 6.5 vs 260 is a wash, I went 6.5 as I wasn't reloading at the time and I could buy Match ammo for $25/box or less. Winchester started making it too, picked up 600 rounds on sale for less that $18/box. Don't think you'll see that with the 260. :) Now I'm reloading and I have some brass with 5 reloads on it. Out of about 800 pieces of brass I've tossed a half dozen for loose primer pockets. I'm at 2800fps with a 139 scenar.

LoneWolf
02-04-2015, 11:27 AM
Really the only reason to go Creedmoor over the 260 is to run AICS pattern magazines due to the reduction in COAL required to use the long heavy or VLD type bullets. Other than that there is very little difference.

choclabs
02-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Really the only reason to go Creedmoor over the 260 is to run AICS pattern magazines due to the reduction in COAL required to use the long heavy or VLD type bullets. Other than that there is very little difference.

This exactly what I am interested in learning.

What are the maximum COAL values for the Model 12 LRP in both the .260 Rem and the 6.5 CM?

I am not a reloader at least as of now, so I am a little less than informed on these specifications and where to find them. I have read exactly what LW just posted that the only advantage to the CM is to be able to seat the longer VLD bullets a bit to a longer COAL. However I don not know enough about the project that I am attempting to configure to realize if what LW states regarding the AICS mags is a limitation in the factory configuration of the LRP.

So here is another question. Does the LRP in 6.5 CM come with the AICS mags factory configured?
And - If not then isn't the same COAL mag restriction limitation applicable to both the .260 Rem and the 6.5 CM LRP?
And - If they both use the same Savage mag and both have the same would it be possible to configure the AICS bottom metal pattern on a new stock to allow for a longer AICS mag to feed either the .260 Rem of the 6.5 CM?
Or do we then get into a chamber specification limitation on the .260 Rem that would not allow for the use of the AICS mag?

I know that I am trying to swim upstream and that buying the LRP just to get the action and the ability to utilize the DBM magazine feed is a very indirect route to take to get to my goal. The stated goal is to have the Model 12 LRP action and DBM capability in a 22-24in light varmint contour profile barrel with a quality hunters Monte Carlo style stock and try to keep it as close to or under 9lbs w/o scope or full magazine. So I wish to reap the benefits of either of these cartridges when shooting groups at longer ranges and still be able to carry it hunting.

Thanks again for these postings that are helping me to better understand if I can get to where I want to be.

LoneWolf
02-04-2015, 12:20 PM
The same COAL restrictions apply, but the different shoulder angle of the Creedmoor make it easier to reach the lands at mag length. If both the Creedmoor and 260 are setup using the same bullet at a COAL of 2.8" the 6.5 Creedmoor will not be seated as deep as the 260. Most guys that run long heavy bullets in the 260 run it as a single shot platform. Otherwise you are not making efficient use of the offered case capacity.

choclabs
02-04-2015, 12:57 PM
The same COAL restrictions apply, but the different shoulder angle of the Creedmoor make it easier to reach the lands at mag length. If both the Creedmoor and 260 are setup using the same bullet at a COAL of 2.8" the 6.5 Creedmoor will not be seated as deep as the 260. Most guys that run long heavy bullets in the 260 run it as a single shot platform. Otherwise you are not making efficient use of the offered case capacity.

It is a geometry thing, got it. If both .260 and 6.5 are at 2.8 inches then the CM cartridge will be just slightly shorter in length than the .260 due to the steeper shoulder angle. And therefore the CM has an ever so slightly smaller charge capacity due to that steeper shoulder angle.

So if Mr. Briggs at NSS is offering a "match" chamber option for the .260 Rem, he is extending the leade length to allow the .260 reloader to seat these longer bullets at their optimal COAL thus negating the CM advantage, at least in a single shot application.

Steelhead
02-04-2015, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=LoneWolf;304083]Really the only reason to go Creedmoor over the 260 is to run AICS pattern magazines due to the reduction in COAL required to use the long heavy or VLD type bullets. Other than that there is very little difference.[/QUOTE
With Berger hybrids that's not an issue.
Loaded to 2.870 my 260 is easily getting them past 2800fps with a LONG jump to the lands and excellent accuracy.

LoneWolf
02-04-2015, 01:36 PM
It's not a perfect science! Some work, but most would agree the Creedmoor makes it easier to accomplish. I also think maybe barrel makers are getting better at chambering for these specific bullets. I currently run an X-Caliber 7 twist 243Win from Jim at Apache Gun Works with 115 DTACS and it shoots the 105Hybrids just as well, but I have a large stock of DTACS so that's what I'm using. As long as you can get them to load and shoot you're good!

Newsshooter
02-04-2015, 02:53 PM
I'd have to disagree, if you're reloading you have a bit more capacity but both fit in an AICS mag. There are lots of 260's in the precision competitions and no one is single loading them. I was able to get 2810 FPS in my savage LRP 6.5CM with 41.7 of H4350 with 140Amax, 139 Scenar was pretty much the same, but the scenar is more consistent at longer distance. IMO if you're reloading it's a wash between the two, though you have more choices for brass. If you aren't reloading the 6.5CM would be the preferred choice for me as you can buy match quality ammo for a lot less than than the .260 or even the .308.

Newsshooter
02-04-2015, 03:02 PM
The LRP does not come with an AICS mag config, it does come with a savage detachable mag and you can get higher capacity mags from DarkEagle. I have a couple and they work well. For hunting the savage mag would work well. You'll need to upgrade the bottom metal, CDI, PTG, Accurate Mag, on the factory stock to get the AICS option. You would be better off selling the stock and getting a different stock. If it were me I'd look at a Manners or McMillan stock for what you listed above.
The stock on the LRP needs more comb height to match the scope. I had mine changed to make it adjustable after taping on foam and using a stock pack to get the correct height. I'm using it now to build a .223 for my nephew and currently use a McCree chassis for my 6.5CM which comes set up to use AICS mags.

LoneWolf
02-04-2015, 04:13 PM
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/10/14/rifle-calibers-what-the-pros-use/

Here's some good info on what the guys on the Precision Rifle Series are currently using.

kevwil
02-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Congrats on the new LRP. I have the same rifle same caliber, with a CDI bottom metal (easy drop in, perfect fit). I hope you get the same accuracy I'm getting, it's insane for a stock rifle. :)

choclabs
02-04-2015, 04:24 PM
The LRP does not come with an AICS mag config, it does come with a savage detachable mag and you can get higher capacity mags from DarkEagle. I have a couple and they work well. For hunting the savage mag would work well. You'll need to upgrade the bottom metal, CDI, PTG, Accurate Mag, on the factory stock to get the AICS option. You would be better off selling the stock and getting a different stock. If it were me I'd look at a Manners or McMillan stock for what you listed above.
The stock on the LRP needs more comb height to match the scope. I had mine changed to make it adjustable after taping on foam and using a stock pack to get the correct height. I'm using it now to build a .223 for my nephew and currently use a McCree chassis for my 6.5CM which comes set up to use AICS mags.

That is my direction in stocks, the factory HS Precision is too heavy and some people are rigging up a higher cheek weld pad or some such. Either Manners or McMillan or even less $ a Bell Carlson. Ideally no custom in-letting for M 12 + DBM.

Now AICS mags and bottom metal or other brand?

Newsshooter
02-04-2015, 04:50 PM
That is my direction in stocks, the factory HS Precision is too heavy and some people are rigging up a higher cheek weld pad or some such. Either Manners or McMillan or even less $ a Bell Carlson. Ideally no custom in-letting for M 12 + DBM.

Now AICS mags and bottom metal or other brand?

This would be my choice for a hunting stock, http://mannersstocks.com/mcs-eh1-745.html. Though not the traditional monte carlo, they do have them as well. Add a CDI bottom metal and use AI style mags. I have AI, McRee, and Alpha that I use in my McRee Chassis.

Newsshooter
02-04-2015, 04:52 PM
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/10/14/rifle-calibers-what-the-pros-use/

Here's some good info on what the guys on the Precision Rifle Series are currently using.

I shoot with a few of them each month, more of them moving to 6mm this year. Not many if any savages in the PRS either.