PDA

View Full Version : Recoil lug interferes with scope mount

dfrosch
05-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Have had this issue with a few builds. The recoil lug will sit just a few thousandths higher than the action and the scope mount will sit on it instead of the receiver. Most of the time, there's enough clearance to simply push the recoil lug down while tightening the barrel nut.

Installed a barrel last night that must have had a larger thread OD. There was no way to get the recoil lug lower than the action. Took the dremel to the forward end of the EGW mount and ground a little bevel so it would sit down against the action.

Any one else every notice this? Any other fixes?

Thanks,
Dana

darkker
05-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Never ran into that, don't have mounts that long either. Why not just file/grind/cut the mount back shorter?

dfrosch
05-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Never ran into that, don't have mounts that long either. Why not just file/grind/cut the mount back shorter?

Yeah, that's what I did on this one. There was only about .030" of the mount touching the recoil lug.

Uncle Jack
05-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Why not grind down the recoil lug to proper dimentions? The first law of gunsmithing is "deal with the cheapest part first".

uj

dfrosch
05-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Here's a close up after modifying the mount(as close as my camera will work).

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo194/dlfrosch/DSC00211.jpg

The mount is softer material and easier to grind. It's also the least visible modification.

Dana

Don - LongRangeSupply
05-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Why not grind down the recoil lug to proper dimentions? The first law of gunsmithing is "deal with the cheapest part first".

uj

I will second that.....

dcloco
05-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Is the top of the recoil lug above the top of the action?

For asthetics, I would have ground the inside of the recoil lug....IF...the recoil lug was above the receiver.

Probably one of my pet peeves with Savage/Stevens....I REALLY like it when the recoil lug is centered with the action screws AND lines up perfectly with the round of the receiver.

So wish I had a mill and a lathe....would build some fixtures to aid this peeve.

dfrosch
05-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Is the top of the recoil lug above the top of the action?

For asthetics, I would have ground the inside of the recoil lug....

It was and that probably would have been the best solution. Might pull this barrel and do just that...

Thanks to all.