PDA

View Full Version : Installing savage barrel with a shoulder

dareposte
05-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Instead of using the barrel nut, is it possible to install a Savage 110 barrel with a turned shank and shoulder, similar to a Rem or Win type barrel installation? Anybody have one or seen one done that way?

I have a 30" Pac-Nor 338 blank I'm thinking about putting in a Savage small shank action, and am just considering the options.

Dano5001
05-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Yes it is possible, but I assume a gunsmith would need to install and headspace it. I spoke to an E.R. Shaw rep the other day, and he stated the can do a shouldered barrel if you send them your action.

I personaly like the savage because of being able to rebarrel it myself using a prefit.

dcloco
05-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Yep, absolutely. Thread and cut the shoulder as normal.

Building three rifles with 1.250 and 1.350 shank barrels, I could not see cutting down that much just to have a nut. So, all three barrels are nutless. Two are 6.5x55 AI and another in 338 RUM....all using Rock Creek 32" stainless barrels.

Uncle Jack
05-02-2010, 02:59 PM
A "Nutless Savage"? That's a "ultraje"! Turn in you membership card, NOW!

uj

Don - LongRangeSupply
05-02-2010, 03:11 PM
I have heard that doing so can cause your savage to mutate into a remington over time. Best to be avoided! ;D

dareposte
05-02-2010, 03:36 PM
That was basically my concern, I have a 1.250" blank tapered to a varmint barrel and didn't want to have it cut down that much just to fit a barrel nut on it. It will be in a 338 Edge when I'm done so the extra thickness is desirable to me.

I may wind up putting it on a Rem700 action anyway (*gasp) just because the aftermarket stock selection for centerfeed savage long action is pretty miserable. I'd really like to get an AICS stock for it but there's nothing like it for the savage, and a DM for long action centerfeed is hard to come by as well.

I shoot Rem and Savage both, I definitely like the Savage bolt head and handle better, and of course changing barrels is so nice. But it seems like the Remingtons have favor with a large portion of the aftermarket makers. Hmf

LHitchcox
05-02-2010, 03:37 PM
I bought a first generation Savage in .25-06 that had a shouldered barrel. It works fine. Since the early model has the strange nose on the bolt and the recess in the barrel, I will not be swapping barrels with it anyhow.

dolomite_supafly
05-02-2010, 05:11 PM
My wife's 45 ACP Savage bolt gun has a shouldered barrel. It works fine and we don't plan on swapping calibers so it will stay that way.

Dolomite

nsaqam
05-02-2010, 06:27 PM
I have a nutless .338-06 Shaw barrel on my 111.

All my Savage's will go nutless as I replace their barrels.

Just like the looks so much more without the nut.

I do my nutless barrels myself.

dcloco
05-02-2010, 06:30 PM
A "Nutless Savage"? That's a "ultraje"! Turn in you membership card, NOW!

uj

UJ - I should have posted the rest of the info in my original post. My apologies. Actually took 14 weeks from the time my "nutless certification" for each rifle was sent, until I received the serial numbered (holographic no less) no-nut-certs (called NNC's in the bylaws).

The info on NNC's is under N, past NUT (defined as - barrel nut), pasted NUTTED (defined as Savage or Stevens rifles with nut(s) still intact and in operational mode. If other, see CERTIFICATE, NO NUT), past NUTTER (defined as the chick at Savage that torques the NUT), past NUTLESS (defined as "ultraje" ). Go to the section under "C", certificate, no nut....therein lies the paperwork process as defined.

Nothing is ruined though, as outlined in the NNC, the actions are not modified in anyway, so they may be returned to "nutted" status at any time.

Of note, the NNC's are actually issued by state. These rifles were built in Nebraska, so the certificate numbers are NNC - NONUTNEB.03, .04, & .05. As you can see, there is a small number of these certificates available on a state by state basis.

JeepsAndGuns
05-02-2010, 06:43 PM
I have a friend at the range who had a savage built with a 18 inch nutless barrel. The barrel was the same dia as the reciever almost the full 18 inches. About 2-3 in down the barrel it tapered in just slightly, but not by much. I cant remember the actual muzzle dia but it was over 1 in. I nicknamed the rifle stubby cause it looked so funny being short with a barrel that big. I think he ended up selling it a couple months ago.

WaltherP99
05-02-2010, 07:04 PM
UJ - I should have posted the rest of the info in my original post. My apologies. Actually took 14 weeks from the time my "nutless certification" for each rifle was sent, until I received the serial numbered (holographic no less) no-nut-certs (called NNC's in the bylaws).

The info on NNC's is under N, past NUT (defined as - barrel nut), pasted NUTTED (defined as Savage or Stevens rifles with nut(s) still intact and in operational mode. If other, see CERTIFICATE, NO NUT), past NUTTER (defined as the chick at Savage that torques the NUT), past NUTLESS (defined as "ultraje" ). Go to the section under "C", certificate, no nut....therein lies the paperwork process as defined.

Nothing is ruined though, as outlined in the NNC, the actions are not modified in anyway, so they may be returned to "nutted" status at any time.

Of note, the NNC's are actually issued by state. These rifles were built in Nebraska, so the certificate numbers are NNC - NONUTNEB.03, .04, & .05. As you can see, there is a small number of these certificates available on a state by state basis.

:) :) :) LOL!!!!!

AWESOME post!

82boy
05-02-2010, 07:26 PM
That was basically my concern, I have a 1.250" blank tapered to a varmint barrel and didn't want to have it cut down that much just to fit a barrel nut on it.

You can have the barrel stepped and then use a large shank barrel nut,and recoil lug. SSS has done a few of them.

Uncle Jack
05-02-2010, 07:50 PM
An outrageous, insidious, and surreptitious "Nutless Rebelion" in our ranks!

I need a drink.

uj

geargrinder
05-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Not a problem. Just do this:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001329.jpg

BrentWin
05-02-2010, 09:48 PM
That is an infomnia