PDA

View Full Version : freefloat vs foreend support.

strut64
01-24-2015, 01:36 PM
I have a 110 with 3 take off savage barrels; 270 Win, 7 MM Rem Mag, and a 30-06. The 270 Win was the first I worked with. In order to get it to shoot I had to add fore end support. I bought a new Boyds classic walnut and sure enough I had to epoxy in a front barrel support to shoot well. A few weeks ago I got the 30-06 and it shot lousy in the Boyds stock. I went back to the original Savage beech stock which the barrel free floated The 30-06 barrel shoots good free floated. The 7 Rem Mag take off barrel is the worst shooting savage barrel have ever seen. Wont shoot with either stock. Forgive me, I am confused. I don't reload for the 7 MM Mag yet but I hate to make the investment for a lousy barrel. Any thoughts out there?

FW Conch
01-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Some barrels like forward support, most don't need it.

It has been said by some very knowledgable rifle builders(Charlie Sisk & others) that the 7mm Mag "can" be difficult to get to shoot well. That can usually be solved by reloading and finding the load it want's or perhaps searching and finding a factory load it likes.

Just passing on information I have absorbed from others over the years :-) Good Luck ... Jim

barrel-nut
01-25-2015, 11:41 AM
Sell the three lousy barrels and buy one good one. Those three calibers are so close to one another in terms of capabilities, why go through the trouble of switching around? Sell them and buy a Criterion or a Shilen or a McGowan in .30-06 and have one good rifle that you can rely on. Just my 2 cents.

FW Conch
01-25-2015, 01:07 PM
Good advise from barrel-nut.

strut64, considering production Savage, what is your definition of "shot lousy" ?

Just Askin :-) Thanks ... Jim