PDA

View Full Version : Scope Mounting Procedure

bg380
01-23-2015, 11:53 PM
I am looking at a new Model 11 FCNS and just ordered a scope for it. Is there a good, easy to follow step by step procedure for mounting a scope? Any and all info is appreciated. What parts and tools do I need, lock tight or no lock tight, bore sighting etc.

Thanks for your help.

Twinsen
01-24-2015, 12:37 AM
If using a 1 piece optic rail on a bolt action rifle:

1. Torque front screws down to manufacturers specs
2. See if rear of rail is floating above the receiver - if so, skip to step 6
3. Undo front screws
4. Torque rear screws down to manufacturers specs
5. See if front of rail is floating above the receiver
6. Bed floating end of rail to receiver

7. Place rear ring bottom on rearmost spot on the rail
8. Push ring down and forward against the rail while tightening the ring down hand tight.
9. Place scope on ring bottom and determine perfect positioning front to rear of the scope - you may have to move the rear ring in same cases, but is unlikely
10. Make a mark so you can repeat this location

11. Place front ring as far forward as it will fit the scope
12. Push down and forward on front ring bottom and torque to manufacturers spec
13. Push down and forward on rear ring bottom and torque to manufacturers spec

14. Place allignment rods onto scope ring bottoms
15. Place ring caps on and torque to manufacturers spec in a good tightening pattern
16. Label the ring caps for front/rear and left/right
17. If rods allign, little to no lapping is required. (none would mean your setup is amazing)

18. Loosen ring caps, remove alignment rods
19. Coat inside of rings with lapping compound
20. Insert lapping rod and tighten ring caps as much as you can while still allowing movement of the rod
21. Check periodically for progress and tighten the screws as material is removed. Your end goal is 75% of the inner surfaces evened out.
22. When you think you are done, remove the caps, the lapping rod, and clean them all of lapping compound.
23. Check alignment with rods.

24. Place scope onto ring bottoms at your mark
25. Place ring caps on and tighten them very loosely, allowing the scope to be turned.
26. Place a level on the rifle.
27. Either place a second level on the scope, or better yet, set up a plumb bob far enough away for you to focus on it. 15 yards is likely far enough.
27a. You can make a plumb bob with any relatively symmetrical weight on the end of a visible string. You can fill a bottle or jar with dirt, poke a hole in the lid, thread the string through the top of the lid, and make a knot on the bottom of the lid. Then pop the lid on the bottle or jar and allow it to hang. You now have a perfectly straight line.
28. Set the rifle on sandbags or a rest of some sort and level the rifle itself.
29. Tilt the scope to level.
30. Begin to tighten ring screws evenly using torque values lower than manufacturer spec. Follow a good screw tightening pattern, it will help.
31. Verify rifle and scope are level.
32. Go around and give final tightening spec on all screws in a good pattern, and then do them all again.

8541 Tactical has good info as well. And his youtube probably has a good video.

bg380
01-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Twinsen,
Thank you very much for the detailed instructions. They are very clear and well laid out. I will check out 8541 Tactical and youtube as well

Thanks

hombre243
01-24-2015, 07:00 PM
I am looking at a new Model 11 FCNS and just ordered a scope for it. Is there a good, easy to follow step by step procedure for mounting a scope? Any and all info is appreciated. What parts and tools do I need, lock tight or no lock tight, bore sighting etc.

Thanks for your help.

It doesn't matter what kind of gun it is...there is at least one or two methods for properly mounting a scope:

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/How_to_mount_a_scope_Part_1_October_2008/53

Twinsen
01-24-2015, 07:39 PM
No problem. I've done it a few times recently.

bg380
01-26-2015, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the link Hombre243. Between that and the info from Twinsen I think I am good to go. Need to order a few tools from Midway first.

Thanks again for the help.

hombre243
01-26-2015, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the link Hombre243. Between that and the info from Twinsen I think I am good to go. Need to order a few tools from Midway first.

Thanks again for the help.

You are welcome. Glad to be of some help. I didn't know there was anything special about mounting scopes and choosing the right mounts and rings...until I realized my shooting sucked. I have a friend who ran me through a few basics. I also was shooting some 45 cal airguns at the time and Pyramid is where I got started with proper scope mounting. The video was one of the first things I studied and realized that mounting procedure/method would work well with my firearms too. Now I am learning about lapping rings. I had to do laps in school and they weren't nearly complicated, nor were they this much fun.