PDA

View Full Version : Barrel length..

EthanW
01-23-2015, 11:14 PM
Howdy folks,
I am in the process of building a 260 rem. This rig will be used for deer hunting in Southern Indiana (400yd max) and for anytime I can sweet talk a farmer into letting me open her up across a field for paper killing. (1000+ yards)

My lack of experience in long range shooting is slowing me down on barrel length. I can order this setup new with a 26in 28in and/or a 30in. I am unsure of what length to go with. I hand-load and would like to open it up for some distance but in reality if it cant put meat in my freezer, I cannot justify it. thank you all in advance for your advice and input.

also, I may one day end up threading this rig for a suppressor. thanks again
Ethan

D.ID
01-24-2015, 01:10 AM
For hunting I would be torn between 24 and 26 but ultimately conclude 24" was enough. Never even would have considered 28-30 unless it was a target range queen.
Velocity is a great thing and the more the merrier but it isn't everything, you could slap a 20" on there and still shoot some pretty impressive distances.
Mid twenties makes a nice compromise for a hunting rig.

EthanW
01-24-2015, 01:22 AM
thank you very much. Ive used 26" barrels but in heavy 35 caliber. Ive never had a rig shoot as fast as these 260's.

darkker
01-24-2015, 04:00 AM
Barrel length is really irrelevant to what you are truly asking about.
Unless you have a bullet that won't cross trans-sonic safely, so you have to keep it super sonic; launch speed loss from a shorter barrel doesn't matter. I frequently shoot to a mile with my 308 & Creedmoor. Neither have a launch velocity that would impress anyone.

EthanW
01-24-2015, 12:42 PM
Barrel length is really irrelevant to what you are truly asking about.
Unless you have a bullet that won't cross trans-sonic safely, so you have to keep it super sonic; launch speed loss from a shorter barrel doesn't matter. I frequently shoot to a mile with my 308 & Creedmoor. Neither have a launch velocity that would impress anyone.

I have no experience with this kind of speed. I have been using slow powder in my other hunting rig to push my 35 cal bullet at the speeds I wanted it through a 26" barrel. If I can get away from a long barrel that would be preferred. (which your saying is a moot point since it is simply not needed) Thank you for the explanation. I really do appreciate you all taking the time to help me out.
thanks, Ethan

darkker
01-24-2015, 07:47 PM
I have no experience with this kind of speed. I have been using slow powder in my other hunting rig to push my 35 cal bullet at the speeds I wanted it through a 26" barrel.

..... what???

Look you said if, you can't put meat in the freezer then it wouldn't be justified. So what barrel allows you to do that? Do you have a thick enough country that you are at a disadvantage with anything over __ many inches? That is for you to decide.

My comments about Trans-sonic survival were because of your desire to fool around at distances past 1,000 yards. You do have expirence with this kind of speed, it's about 1,200 fps.