PDA

View Full Version : Savage Long Action Bell & Carlson Opinions

KTP
01-23-2015, 08:16 AM
Has anyone used the Bell & Carlson Medalist for their Savge long action ? Opinions ? It supposedly has a full length metal skeleton. Would the barrel channel handle a lite varmint contour barrel ?
Thanks

Bigeclipse
01-23-2015, 02:09 PM
yes it has a full length aluminum skeleton. Yes the stocks are very well made. I did this vary thing 2 months ago and yes it will handle a light varmint BUT I will say this... I had to open the channel up really really wide and deep in order to free float 2 business cards. The rifle is awesome BUT I wouldn't do it again with a light varmint contour, maybe a sporter heavy contour.

P.S. this is assuming you are speaking about the medalist classic

KTP
01-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Thanks Bigeclipse. I don't mind working the channel some but I hear you. Savage long action options are few and far between in a good synthetic.

Bigeclipse
01-23-2015, 02:43 PM
Thanks Bigeclipse. I don't mind working the channel some but I hear you. Savage long action options are few and far between in a good synthetic.

depends what your needs are...light varmint suggest you will be shooting off bipod?

The choate tactical works for 110, I think it is for centerfeed. You could always go boyds laminate stocks. they are nice...and cheap.

I didn't mean to sound like it fits bad. If you sand it and take your time...it looks ok (more weird having such a thick barrel in a smaller stock lol) It functions great! BUT next time I would put it in a boyds tactical style or something along that lines.

scooterf79
01-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Ive got the choate tactical on my long action, and itll more than accommodate the light varmint.(actually supposed to hold up to a 1.25") I have a light varmint on mine. It has full alum block also but its a heavy stock. E Arthur Brown has em for $200, for either CF or SF. I had looked at the b&c but wasnt real sure about the barrel channel either so thats why I went with the Choate.
Scooter

KTP
01-26-2015, 08:29 PM
Thanks Scooter. The only problem I have with the choate is the weight. This is going to be a hunting rifle.

scooterf79
01-26-2015, 10:44 PM
It is heavy Ill give ya that. I've got a couple other rifles if Im walking alot. If Im hunting where I wont be walking much I take it.
Scooter

jim_k
01-26-2015, 11:00 PM
I am a huge fan of the Bell & Carlson stocks, and I have bedded one for a Savage long action. I put on a 22" take-off barrel that was bought for $85, and converted it to .308 Winchester; it shot 3 shots into 0.45" and 5 shots into 0.63" at 100 yds. (Different loads.) It is being used as a hunting rifle, and has the old style trigger, which I think was an excellent trigger, since it locked every 1/2 turn, and can be set fairly light. I should mention that I also diamond-lapped the barrel. I think with the right loads, that rifle could beat some folks at mid-range (certainly short-range) F/TR.
Jim