PDA

View Full Version : 270WSM to 7MM-08

corelokt
01-23-2015, 07:35 AM
I have an amazingly accurate Savage 11 trophy hunter package rifle chambered in 270WSM.
I've been toying with the idea of going 7-08.
What do you guys think, good idea or?
What parts would be best for this type of swap?
Thanks guys and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hotolds442
01-23-2015, 08:59 AM
A lot of people swear by the 7-08. And it'll be cheaper to shoot too. I'd shoot Jim at Apache an email and get some ideas on a barrel. Change the magazine box, swap the bolt head, and possibly remove the standing ejector from your receiver if it's controlled round feed. You will also need to know whether your action is a large or small shank, the barrel will need to be threaded to match whichever one you have. You can send me all your 270WSM brass :) I have a bolt head to swap if you go through with the conversion. I might also have a magazine box and follower depending on whether you have a stagger feed or center feed action.

Bigeclipse
01-23-2015, 12:55 PM
I have an amazingly accurate Savage 11 trophy hunter package rifle chambered in 270WSM.
I've been toying with the idea of going 7-08.
What do you guys think, good idea or?
What parts would be best for this type of swap?
Thanks guys and any help will be greatly appreciated.

what kind of distances are you shooting and what are you shooting at? If you are shooting at deer then you will be limited to about 500 yards for an ethical kill with a 7mm-08. Some will stretch that a bit to 600-700 but I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting bambi out there. The 270wsm will take you out to those further ranges for game. That being said, if you don't shoot that far on deer....I say ditch the 270wsm. it is a dying caliber in my opinion, has a lot more recoil and does not gain you much for hunting under 500 yards. I do believe 300wsm will be around for the long hall but 270wsm, 7mm wsm, 325wsm may go way of the dodo. 7mm-08 will be easier to find bullets and brass for reloading, and MUCH easier to find factory loads if that's what you desire.

corelokt
01-23-2015, 05:28 PM
It's my deer rifle and sometime target fun, although my local range is only 200 yards.
In the Georgia deer woods, longest shot I've taken with has been at 175. Although I have been on powerlines I could see 1000 yards.
Just that I don't shoot that far, I bought the 270WSM because I absolutely love the 270win, flat shooting and hard hitting, so much so that I had to have one in a short action.
Ammo price is outrageous on them though, at $2 a shot and not easy to find, and not shooting 300+ yards, is the main reason for the swap I guess.
Not sure if it's center or staggered feed, I would guess it's centered, mag holds two rounds, one on top of the other?
I'm pretty sure it's a large shank barrel.

Bigeclipse
01-26-2015, 02:21 PM
It's my deer rifle and sometime target fun, although my local range is only 200 yards.
In the Georgia deer woods, longest shot I've taken with has been at 175. Although I have been on powerlines I could see 1000 yards.
Just that I don't shoot that far, I bought the 270WSM because I absolutely love the 270win, flat shooting and hard hitting, so much so that I had to have one in a short action.
Ammo price is outrageous on them though, at $2 a shot and not easy to find, and not shooting 300+ yards, is the main reason for the swap I guess.
Not sure if it's center or staggered feed, I would guess it's centered, mag holds two rounds, one on top of the other?
I'm pretty sure it's a large shank barrel.

You will likely need a new magazine follower and definitely will need to swap bolt faces either with someone on here or buy one....I hope others can comment on this. You will definitely need to pay attention when you order a barrel as you WILL likely need the large shank barrel as I believe most if not all WSMs are large shanks. You can measure your barrel shank thickness with calipers to confirm.

As far as hunting. If you do not routinely shoot past 400 yards on targets you probably shouldn't shoot at deer that far (not judging just saying) If you will keep all shots under 500 yards then 7mm-08 will be a great caliber for deer. much lighter recoil than the 270wsm. Ammo will be cheaper and a bit easier to find than 270wsm but it is +still not a super popular round so types of bullets/rounds you can find over the counter will be more limited than say for example a 308, 270, or 3006.

Mach2
01-26-2015, 03:51 PM
I have this quandary too. My most accurate Model 10 I've often thought of changing barrels but I can't make the decision. Why mess with your most accurate rifle?

I wish you better luck with your quandary than I've had with mine.