PDA

View Full Version : How to move forward with 7mm build?

Model12BVSS
01-22-2015, 07:12 AM
Okay, here's my dilemma. I've acquired a small shank 7mm Rem Mag varmint contour barrel from a forum member. I've got 100pcs of brand new Norma brass and some Nosler and Berger bullets on the way. Getting antsy and want to get this thing together. Been trying to track down a round back centerfeed long action w/Magnum bolt face. No luck here on the forums really, a couple responses but mostly flat back actions (I want an AccuTrigger since my other rifle has one). Then I called Jim at Norhland Shooters Supply and I basically have two options. He has new, centerfeed, round back long actions in stock with a .473 bolt head for $350. He also has a couple older 111FXP3 complete package rifles chambered in 7mm Rem Mag with the cheap no name scope, round back and accutrigger for $475. Would it be more cost effective for me to purchase the complete rifle and sell all the stuff I'm not going to use (barrel, scope, mounts, possibly stock)? Or would I be better off buying the action and swapping the bolt face for a magnum diameter? It seems magnum bolt heads and the accompanying small parts are gettin hard to track down. Buying the rifle would require less effort in the bolt department tracking down swap parts but then I have to put some effort into selling all the stuff I don't use plus the extra up front cost of the rifle. Jim was telling me if I go with the action I'd need to replace not just the bolt face but the firing pin, firing pin spring, and the bolt shroud which he said would be close to $100 worth of extra parts. Obviously I'm having a tough time deciding. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also as an aside this is my first build and I don't have a clue how to install all the small parts like extractor and ejector pieces into a stripped bolt head. I'm sure it's not that hard but with my sausage fingers might be challenging.

wbm
01-22-2015, 11:32 AM
When going from a Savage 110/111 with .473 standard bolt head to a .540 magnum bolt head, you don't need another bolt shroud, firing pin, firing pin spring or anything else....you just switch out the bolt heads. For example if you have a 110/111 Savage in 30-06 and you want to replace the 30-06 barrel with a 7mm magnum barrel you simply replace the standard bolt head with a magnum bolt head. Take the small parts, extractor, ejector etc., from the standard bolt head and use them on the magnum bolt head.

Hotolds442
01-22-2015, 03:32 PM
Since the standard bolt face has 1/2" length lugs, and the magnum bolt face has 9/16" lugs, you will need the longer firing pin, spring, and shroud. If you happen to stumble across a magnum bolt face with 1/2" lugs, you can use your existing bolt components.
If PTG is out of stock, they'll build you a bolt face upon your placing an order.
You can see the difference here: http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?131-Savage-Bolt-Head-Configurations
Notice the difference in lug length and compare your new magnum bolt head to determine which parts you'll need to use.

I'd just buy the rifle and part it out myself, then you won't even have to mess with the bolt.
New takeoff barrel in 7mm - $75-100 depending on how fast you want to sell it.
New scope and rings - $75-100
Stock- $40 or so.
You can be into your new action for less than $300 before taxes and transfer fees and not have to dick around with scrounging the dungeons looking for parts.

wbm
01-22-2015, 05:32 PM
Firing pin protrusion is adjustable.

bootsmcguire
01-22-2015, 08:37 PM
Hotolds442 (http://www.savageshooters.com/member.php?28441-Hotolds442) - 01-25-2014, 03:04 PM

Here are some Savage part numbers for several different bolt head configurations. I'll add more as I find them.

Bolt head,short RH black .223 104880
Bolt head,short LH black .223 104886
Bolt head,short RH std .223 104877
Bolt head,short LH std .223 104883
Bolt head,short RH black .308 104879
Bolt head,short LH black .308 104886
Bolt head,short RH std .308 104876
Bolt head,short LH std .308 104882
Bolt head,short RH ground 6Norma 107291
Bolt head,short LH ground 6Norma
Bolt head,short RH black .308 large hole 104050
Bolt head,long RH std .308 103966
Bolt head,long LH std .308 103969
Bolt head,long RH black .308 104873
Bolt head,long LH black .308
Bolt head,long LH Magnum. 103963
Bolt head,long RH Magnum 103960
Bolt head,long LH Magnum black 104813
Bolt head,long RH Magnum black 103502
Bolt head,short RH Heavy Magnum push feed 106190
Bolt head,short LH Heavy Magnum push feed
Bolt head,long RH std large hole
Bolt head,long LH std large hole 100096
Bolt head,short RH std large hole
Bolt head,short LH std large hole 104047
Bolt head,CRF, RH Magnum 104828
Bolt head,CRF, LH Magnum
Bolt head,CRF, RH plated Magnum 103957

I pulled this quote from the following FAQ page here on the forum

You may want to read it quick.
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?131-Savage-Bolt-Head-Configurations

The only heads that use the 9/16" lugs are the heavy magnums (aka the WSM bolt head) which are only for Short Actions. All long actions (except the Lapua action) use bolt heads with 1/2" lugs.

OP: if you can locate a stripped magnum bolt head, the only thing to swap is the head it self. All of the parts on the .473" head will swap over. No new pins, followers or anything needed. As I quoted above Hotolds442 was kind enough to give us a parts number list on the page I linked so you can order a LA-Magnum bolt head direct from Savage (after signing their wavier for "gunsmith only parts). Get the action, but the head, switch the parts, save some coin and hassle. JMHO. ;)

Model12BVSS
01-22-2015, 09:28 PM
Thanx everyone for all the help, information and suggestions. After talking with Jim a little more this morning I decided to pull the trigger on the package rifle. I pretty much agree with Hotolds442. This way there's no searching for or fiddling with bolt parts and as he said I can get some money back with the barrel and the scope and mounts. The other thing that justified it for me is I can use the factory stock to shoot the rifle and work up my loads until I decide on the stock/chassis system I really want. I also purchased the precision barrel nut and recoil lug from Jim as well as his action and barrel wrench. Everything should be at my FFL on Weds, can't wait to open that box. I'll be posting up the factory new sporter barrel and the no name scope in the classifieds hopefully by the end of next week. Thanks again everyone.

GaCop
01-25-2015, 07:47 AM
Looking forward to pictures of the new "toy".

Model12BVSS
02-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Incase anybody is interested in my progress, I started a new topic in the My Build Thread section with pictures and such of the rifle in its BEFORE state. Can't wait til I can post some AFTER pictures lol Also put up a before and after thread of my model 12 22-250. Check 'er out too.