PDA

View Full Version : Help With Weird Headspacing Issue

Echo17
01-22-2015, 12:28 AM
Hi all, I am trying to install a new barrel in 7mm rem mag.

I have a set of belted magnum go and no-go gauges.

I stripped the bolt of the extractor, ejector and firing pin, slid the go gauge in, closed the bolt and firmly snuged the barrel and nut up to its face, the tightened the barrel nut.

Thing is both the go gauge and the no go gauge have a bit of resistance when closing the bolt......I have tried it now about 10 times and am now at my wits end. Any thoughts to fix this ir what the heck is going on?

sharpshooter
01-22-2015, 02:05 AM
Pull the barrel back off and drop a gauge in and measure the protrusion. Sounds like the bolt head is bottoming out on the breech face. Your go gauge should protrude from the barrel .125-.130".

Bigeclipse
01-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Hi all, I am trying to install a new barrel in 7mm rem mag.

I have a set of belted magnum go and no-go gauges.

I stripped the bolt of the extractor, ejector and firing pin, slid the go gauge in, closed the bolt and firmly snuged the barrel and nut up to its face, the tightened the barrel nut.

Thing is both the go gauge and the no go gauge have a bit of resistance when closing the bolt......I have tried it now about 10 times and am now at my wits end. Any thoughts to fix this ir what the heck is going on?

check what the poster above me just said...remember though that tightening the barrel down isn't always easy to get the headspace perfect. I know I had to do it several times before it was right. What I found helped was I would put a thin piece of tape on the back of the go gauge. Then I would tighten the barrel down on the go gauge but NOT the barrel nut yet. Then I would remove the go gauge with tape. THEN I would tighten the nut using a torque wrench. This will turn the barrel ever so slightly with it. Now Check with the go gauge again WITHOUT the tape on it and make sure bolt will close. If no...start over but try two pieces of tape. Once the bolt will close, then go to your "No Go" gauge and make sure the bolt will NOT close. If it wont, you are good to go.

Also, measure your go gauge and compare to your no go gauge and then compare that to the specs online to make sure they are correct.