PDA

View Full Version : Spotting scope help

ger42
01-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Looking for a spotting scope max range 500 yd target (paper). I'd like to spend $400 or under. I am at the end of my shooting life so I don't want to lay out big bucks.
I sold my Kowa a few years back my health was bad and I didn't think I'd be shooting again but I am back into rifles. There is a club with a 500 yd range an hour south of me that I'l like to join. I shot yesterday at 100 YD with a 20X Leopold (on max) and had troubled seeing the holes.

yobuck
01-21-2015, 08:22 PM
Seeing holes at 100 is one thing and 500 is in another league. And holes in the white are one thing and in the black is another at any distance.
First id reccomend using all white targets with colored aiming dots being small as possible.
At 100 yds and even further, a sharpie x on the white paper shouldnt pose any problem for the 20x leupold.
Since your familiar with Kowa there would be good choices used on ebay within your budget.

LongRange
01-21-2015, 10:15 PM
i had a red field 20-60x60 i got in a trade and for what they cost they are pretty decent spotters...i think you can get them in a kit that comes with a tripod and a carry case for about $170 bucks.

D.ID
01-21-2015, 10:16 PM
Sometimes it's cheaper and easier to invest in a value pack (bulk) of shoot n see targets.
I have great 6-24x50 optics on my rifles, 2.... 20-60x80 spotting scopes and a 18-45x60 and still usually use shoot n see targets out past 500 just to make it easy. Green hits on black targets= your leupold 20x should make that easy.

yobuck
01-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Sometimes it's cheaper and easier to invest in a value pack (bulk) of shoot n see targets.
I have great 6-24x50 optics on my rifles, 2.... 20-60x80 spotting scopes and a 18-45x60 and still usually use shoot n see targets out past 500 just to make it easy. Green hits on black targets= your leupold 20x should make that easy.

Hmmm, 2 80 mm spotters eh, are they of the same nationality or just have the same size objectives?

D.ID
01-22-2015, 09:15 PM
Hmmm, 2 80 mm spotters eh, are they of the same nationality or just have the same size objectives?
Both old nikon field scopes, I got one for a song on a whim and of course it blew the burris 20-60x80 we had bean using away...........and the wife decided she needed one of her own.

D.ID
01-22-2015, 09:23 PM
P.S. quite often I remember to say "we".......and equally often I neglect to specify...over simplify and say "I have".
No disrespect to the lady.
It's just easier to say "I have 3x 338 edge rifles that all use h1000 powder and shoot good"
than to say I have two, one old and one new and my wife has a new one that I did assembly, load development, zero and long distance confirmations on and all the reloading for using h1000 and all three of those rifles perform well.

yobuck
01-22-2015, 09:45 PM
P.S. quite often I remember to say "we".......and equally often I neglect to specify...over simplify and say "I have".
No disrespect to the lady.
It's just easier to say "I have 3x 338 edge rifles that all use h1000 powder and shoot good"
than to say I have two, one old and one new and my wife has a new one that I did assembly, load development, zero and long distance confirmations on and all the reloading for using h1000 and all three of those rifles perform well.

But im sure she has a nice way of reminding you of all the nice things she does for you also whenever you bring this up.
Which youve no doubt learned not to do. At least when she's within hearing range.
So the scopes are an identicle match?
What do you use the guns for?

D.ID
01-23-2015, 12:59 AM
Heck no, I bring it up all the time and she punches me in the shoulder. All in good fun.
Yes the scopes are identical and on heavy duty tripods. We use the guns and scopes for elk hunting mostly.
Longer and longer shots all the time. We both have allot of fun target shooting more and more distance all the time.
Those 300 grain pills are great elk medicine.
I built one and got it all dialed in and the first time she shot it she took an 830 yard shot at a two inch target that she bullseyed and proclaimed she needed one of her own..........notice a trend here?