PDA

View Full Version : Scope?

offtarget
01-20-2015, 09:55 PM
Need help. Shooting only targets. Out to 500 to 600 ft. Off of bench. Have no idea what I need as far as power or variable or reticle or anything else. Not concerned as brands at this time. Just trying to figure out what I need at this time.

Thanks!!

D.ID
01-20-2015, 10:36 PM
Brands matter.
Not as a status symbol but for reference to quality, durability and customer service if a scope related problem should occur.
What you need is a loaded question.............
Are you going to be adjusting the scope for hold over?
Using the reticle for range finding?
Using the reticle for hold over instead of adjusting?
Still with me and know what I'm talking about?
Magnification depends largely on personal preference, I like allot, some folks do not.
Variable vs fixed depends mostly on budget, variables of EQUAL quality are usually more expensive than there fixed counterpart.
5-600 yrds precision target shooting or kill zone plinking?

Berger.Fan222
01-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Leupold VXII 3-9

savage2014
01-21-2015, 07:26 PM
no matter what you buy, don't buy china made scopes. I have tried a lot of them... BSA sweet, Vortex Crossfire II, Mueller APV, Weaver Kaspa AO, Bushnell AR Optics... all were faulty and inconsistent out of the box. And don't be lured by "no questions asked lifetime warranty" ... you are already paying for it when you purchase the scope. It sounds reassuring, but then it will be time consuming and might cost more in the long run if you have to send your scope a few times for warranty work.

You waste time and energy removing and remounting your scope,you loose time and money when sending the scope back and waiting for a few days to a month, you loose time and energy + money (ammo cost) in zeroing when the scope is back.

I have learned my lesson, and learned the HARD way by buying cheap china made scopes.

sav250
01-21-2015, 07:41 PM
For up to 200 yards a rifle with a solid action and good irons can do all the paper stuff easy. Just get the Globe Front Redfields found on the Matchmasters or Winchester 75s just along with the same sights used on the Winchester 52s and the Remington Matchmaster 513s.

If you want vision at 100 or 200 yards to see more detail than your eyes can use to use the irons then find a fixed strong 4X and start there. You will quickly find that high magnification is not necessary for precision shooting. You might find a 2-7X or 3-9X is almost too much.

I know I did.

Robinhood
01-21-2015, 07:51 PM
Low end: SWFA SS 12X or 16X
Mid range: Sightron SIII 6-4 or 8-32
High end: Nightforce Competition

barrel-nut
01-21-2015, 08:44 PM
Low end: SWFA SS 12X or 16X
Mid range: Sightron SIII 6-4 or 8-32
High end: Nightforce Competition

+1, to add Weaver Target series fixed 24x or 36x on the low/low-mid end.

darkker
01-23-2015, 05:37 AM
I shoot 2 rifles regularly to a mile. One of them has a 3-15X, the other a 4-14X.
Whatever you do, and this is VERY important, MATCH the reticle with the turrets!!! If it has a mil-dot reticle, it dayum-well better have mil adjustments, NOT MOA!

I only use FFP scopes, that are mil/mil. So here is the explanation:
FFP = First Focal Plane. SFP = Second Focal Plane.

Most scopes are SFP. So when you turn up the magnification, the cross hairs stay the same tiny size. Those scopes adjustment & reticle ONLY work properly at one magnification setting, usually max. So say you have a mil-dot reticle, 1/10th mil adjustments, SFP 3-9x. If you are shooting the 300 yard target on 5 power and notice you are a mil low, you actually have to turn the scope up to 9 power to see if it is really a mill, and adjust elevation at that power. Lower power, the mil dot spacing and turret adjustment is not correct. Yes, you are correct, that is stupid, I agree:cool:

Now say you still have a 3-9X scope. But FFP, mil-dot reticle, 1/10th mil turret adjustments. When you zoom in, the cross hairs will get bigger; and get smaller at low magnification. This is the practical man's system, in my mind anyway. Because the reticle zooms larger with increased magnification, it's size relative to the target, never changes. So at any mag, 1 mil is one mil. The turrets adjust the same, at any mag. You can mil a range estimation, at any mag. Far faster and more flexible than a SFP scope, to me anyhow.
Buy mil/mil, or MOA/MOA(reticle/turret adjustment) do not buy a plain or duplex type reticle, and for the love, stay away from BDC junk....

My 4-14x44mm FFP, mil/mil is a Primary Arms. Do a search for threads I started, we compared it side by side with a SWFA 3-15. It puts the SWFA to absolute shame, for less than half price. I currently have about a thousand rounds of Creedmoor fired from it with no issues. The military arms channel did a "1000 for 1000" rifle and fell in love with it too.
Cheers

Hotolds442
01-23-2015, 09:11 AM
I'll add a +1 for the Primary Arms 4-14 FFP. As soon as Marshall gets some more in stock, I'm ordering two more.

darkker
01-23-2015, 10:09 PM
Hotolds442,

I need to convert 2 more also, so you better not order them until I get mine placed:cool:

GaCop
01-24-2015, 09:16 AM
Looks like that's a scope I need to give a try.

noname
01-24-2015, 04:33 PM
weaver t24 or t 36

yobuck
01-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Need help. Shooting only targets. Out to 500 to 600 ft. Off of bench. Have no idea what I need as far as power or variable or reticle or anything else. Not concerned as brands at this time. Just trying to figure out what I need at this time.

Thanks!!

Assuming you meant what you said, up to 600 ft and didnt typo and actually mean yards, could make a big difference.

barrel-nut
01-24-2015, 05:36 PM
Assuming you meant what you said, up to 600 ft and didnt typo and actually mean yards, could make a big difference.

+1. I think most everyone, myself included, is assuming you meant yards not feet. Correct us if necessary.