PDA

View Full Version : Savage Edge Trigger

lungbuster123
05-01-2010, 07:43 PM
I know its a new rifle, but the 5lb trigger is hard to get used to. I bought one for coyote hunting and I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to lighten the trigger? And why did Savage even put this rifle out with that heavy of a trigger?

pdog06
05-01-2010, 09:47 PM
And why did Savage even put this rifle out with that heavy of a trigger?

Because it can be sold for under $300. A call to Northlander and $35 will get you a 3screw trigger that will lighten it to around 3lbs when adjusted right(assuming normal triggers will fit the Edge of course).

I think that there just hasnt been too many people tinker with one yet cause they just hit the streets.

EFBell
05-01-2010, 09:53 PM
from what I have read the triggers are in no way compatible with Savage or stevens triggers. That does not necessarily mean that one cant be cleaned up a little.

pdog06
05-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Figures!!!!!!! Why did I even have a thought that there was a chance of it being compatible ::)

Sorry lungbuster. Sure someone will find a way to tweak it before long.

drybean
05-01-2010, 10:31 PM
do not remember but i read that they can be tuned to about 3 1/2
drybean

82boy
05-01-2010, 11:19 PM
In no way do I advocate modification of the trigger, and if you do so you do so at your own risk.

Around 3 lbs is about as good as one can get out of it, do to its design that is as light as it will go. The three screw trigger may fit with modification, but the edge trigger is closer to design to an accu-trigger. The rear of the trigger is similar to the accu-trigger, they both have a 10-24 threading, (Clue to the secrete.) and the modification to either is the same. (A trick I learned from SSS)

bluealtered
05-02-2010, 12:02 PM
There is a post over on predatormasters.com where a member has worked over the edge trigger, it basicly came down to smoothing the surfaces, using moly lube and clipping the spring. blue

BONASABOB
06-09-2010, 11:45 AM
global mod ...sounds like you have a solution to the edge trigger so please share it with me. i subsituted a homemade spring for the dual diameter spring on the rear arm but it only took it from 6 lb 11 oz to 4 lb 3 oz. that let me shrink .223 group size from 1 1/4" to 5/8" so it is shootable now but i want to reduce another lb or so.

uncleslim
06-09-2010, 06:45 PM
I got am e-mail from a rep. at RifleBasix and he said they are in the process of altering their Savage trigger to work with the Edge. He said they would be ready for shipment around June 15th. I believe he said it would bring the trigger down to 1 1/2 to 3 pounds with adjustment. The price will be around $85.
He said to keep checking the site for availability.

BONASABOB
06-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Have used rifle basix triggers on other firearms with great results but to do that here defeats my purpose...... i don't want to spend additionally. if so i would have bought another accu trigger gun....that's easy. am trying to turn an inexpensive rifle into a good value by getting it to work better without spending(much) money. i reduced the pull by 2 1/2 lbs and shrunk the groups by half with a $.69 spring from my local hardware and i'm hoping that someone out there has an even better solution to share with me. Help!!!

Single Six
08-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Basix is out.

http://www.riflebasix.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

degummj
08-23-2010, 08:32 PM
I purchased a Savage Edge XP in .223 as a summer shooting rifle and to see how well I could get it to perform without putting another dime into the rifle. If there is any weak points to the Savage Edge XP, it is the trigger and the scope. the trigger and sear surfaces are crudely polished, more like done on a grinder. My .223 came with a factory trigger pull of 5 3/4 pounds. A bit too heavy for me, since I basically bench rest shoot. Some careful polishing of the trigger and sear brought them down considerably. Trimming the spring brought the trigger pull down to about 3/4 of a pound with good sear engagement. Nice, but a bit too light, especially for varmint hunting. The spring is a two stage affair with a tightly wound section that goes into the trigger housing. I took a piece of .010 steel strip and cut an octogon about 5/16" in diameter and drilled a 7/64" hole in the center. Winding it on the spring gave me an aduster that by winding it onto the smaller section of the spring gave me an range of adjustment from about 1 pound to about 3 1/4 pounds, good for bench rest shooting to varmint hunting. The rifle performs quite well. I have shot some good 1/2 MOA groups with my best group being .41". That's with a 52 grain FMBT spitzer being driven by 24.8 grains of Varget in scrounged Lake City Brass and a CCI primer. Oh, the really cheap bushnell sharpshooter?!? scope was replaced with a 6 x 24 X 44 Truglo Target/Varmint scope.
Any one have good loads for the Savage Edge XP in 223?

littlebit55
08-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Timney trigger (savage 110-116) featherweight trigger works great.

holtrk85
09-22-2010, 10:14 AM
degummj,

I would love to see some pics of what you did to the trigger or your 223 Edge.
I am most interested in the octogon shaped adjuster you made out of the metal strip.

poncaguy
09-25-2010, 10:18 PM
My gunsmith got both of my Edges, 7-08 and 223 down to 2 1/2 with no spring mods...........delight to shoot now...........

Elmer
10-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Anyone try these?

Rifle Basix Rifle Trigger Savage 10 through 16, 110 through 116, Edge with or without AccuTrigger 1 to 3 lb Black

Midway sells them for $95

miassmaro98
05-01-2011, 08:17 PM
whats the reason by reducing the trigger pull you can shoot better?

Herman
05-09-2011, 07:10 PM
whats the reason by reducing the trigger pull you can shoot better?

Correct. Your gun is less likely to move when you are putting 3lbs of pressure on it vs 6-8lbs of pressure on it.

bonzo
05-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Hey lungbuster123, yes, I found a way to lighten the spring load. What I did was remove the spring and take it to any spring manufacturer and get them to put it in their spring compression measuring device and rate the actual spring load,i.e. mine was seven pounds,so i asked them to make me a couple of springs of various poundage,they made me one at 2.5 pounds ,one at 3 pounds and one at 4 pounds.at present I have the 3 pound spring fitted and I am finding that it is still a tad heavy. So next I will try the 2.5 pound, what you have to be weary of is slam fire so I would not go lower than 2.5 pound just to be on the safe side. Good luck. p.s it should only cost you 20 to30 bucks.