PDA

View Full Version : A17/A22 Series: Savage's new A17 Semi-Auto 17HMR Rifle

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

leo158
03-22-2015, 09:43 AM
I know on ARs the lower other than the trigger has very little if any to do with accuracy.
. Also ARs you can hear the spring when using certain stocks... This is not an AR but I don't see any real issues that will prevent this gun from being a really good gun..
When the gun is put back together I am sure there is very little flex with the fire control..
Being a polymer lower does not worry me one bit.. They been out for years starting with plumb crazy and they have perfected them to this age... There is a lot of polymer lowers on ARs these days that have been proven just or more reliable than metal lowers... That goes for uppers also.. I am sure with some little tweaking and after market parts to follow as the 10/22... You will be able to change out what ever you want to ones likeness... I am sure this rifle will be a huge hit....And nothing I seen or really heard made this rifle non-functional.
They have them here for 375 now... Might wait for a heavy barrel..

leo158
03-22-2015, 09:52 AM
Also I just watched video again on the big screen.... If you watch how he has the lower in the vice you can see its locked on the trigger guard between the leather jaws... That is where most of the play is coming from.. Its the leather that seems to be giving all the extra flex and not so much the receiver.. I might be wrong though...

nick4blu_81
03-26-2015, 07:43 PM
Was able to put my hands on the A17 today at my local Bi-Mart. $367.99. My first impression of it is that it looks very cheaply made. Very very lightweight with lots of plastic. While looking at the magazine, it just didn't look like it was locked in the rifle correctly. I tried moving it around and nothing changed. I have have not shot the rifle, so I cant speak on functionality.y Lots of Hornady 17 HMR ammo on the shelf, $13.00 a box.

308 Hunter
03-28-2015, 04:47 PM
I`m waiting on this one. I`ll wait for them to get the bugs out and perhaps offer a wood stock option for a little more money in the future. Just never liked plastic stocks. A semi-auto is very interesting though in this caliber. I could not personally justify putting an expensive custom wooden stock on this rifle in it`s current connotation, perhaps you feel differently, everyone`s different.

Jimr
03-29-2015, 10:45 PM
I`m waiting on this one. I`ll wait for them to get the bugs out and perhaps offer a wood stock option for a little more money in the future. Just never liked plastic stocks. A semi-auto is very interesting though in this caliber. I could not personally justify putting an expensive custom wooden stock on this rifle in it`s current connotation, perhaps you feel differently, everyone`s different.

My two cents----
I have have spent about 50 rds worth of time with my new A17 w/vortex diamond back 3x12-42 ao scope.
Can't get better than 3/4" grip at 50 yds.
i believe I could improve this with another trigger or modify this one?
this trigger is not very good!
i don't mind the travel but it feels like it must be 6-7lbs.
the adjustment does nothing, good or bad!
i found that the mag has to be seated firmly.
no problems with non A17 CCI ammo.

i like it and will solve the trigger issue!

Mike.h
05-01-2015, 11:45 AM
I too, will be on the list of wait and see... Hopefully Savage will correct these problems and in turn, send out a solid platform.

J.Baker
05-01-2015, 11:21 PM
For those of you having magazine retention issues, are you inserting the magazine with the bolt closed or open? I always inserted my mags with the bolt locked open and never had a single issue with them falling out using 4 different magazines. Just curious if maybe the two are correlated.