PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Shot my 1977 model 99 for the first time on Sunday!!

Tommy
01-20-2015, 03:52 PM
For a few weeks now I have been waiting for good weather to get out and test fire my recently acquired model 99 series A which our good friend "MAD DOG" identified as a 1977. (By the way Maddog, should you read this I am curious as to how you specified the date. What were the key factors that put you on target for it?)

Just so you are aware folks I use a new Savage P1 Trophy Hunter XP/AC .308 as my regular shooter in the stand locations so to me finding a decent .308 lever for the bush was a serious want vs need scenerio and I removed the scope in favor of iron sights in the bush. I made 10 targets of frozen coloured water (no debris and they blow up quite nicely on impact) and placed them at 100 yards attempting to fire from a free hold position. Needless to say I am not a marksman and just as I say, I attempted to hit my targets. Being familiar with the kick a .308 can produce it was not to difficult to get the feel for this gun at all and I made ice chips in not to long of a time. I was very happy with the feel and ease of use this gun provided, most of all the all steel magazine(clip) was a very nice thing to have. I am not fond of the newer plastic ones that are used on todays rifles. My brother had to replace the magazine on his brand new Savage 30-06 as it broke on our deer/moose hunt in northern Ontario, it was covered by warranty but he still purchased a second one since he felt that he could not depend them. So far mine, and my wife's .270 have not suffered the same fault and they all use the same magazine.

I get the feeling the rear sights are bent slightly to the right(hopefully I can fix that) but to confirm I will set up my range table and proper targets the next time I get out and shoot. Free standing shooting at targets no bigger than small coffee jars 100 yards away isn't easy and I know I was more interested in just see how the gun felt, but you can bet I want to test accuracy the next time for sure.

Tommy

Mad Dog
01-20-2015, 03:59 PM
For a few weeks now I have been waiting for good weather to get out and test fire my recently acquired model 99 series A which our good friend "MAD DOG" identified as a 1977. (By the way Maddog, should you read this I am curious as to how you specified the date. What were the key factors that put you on target for it?)

Had a buddy that used to work at the Savage factory back in the 80's, lost contact with him a few years ago but he gave me a lot of good info back then.

Moose and deer in Northern Ontario? Where were you, up in the Kenora area?

Tommy
01-22-2015, 09:05 AM
I was in Iron Bridge area on crown and private land. Sad part was that we saw plenty of deer which meant there would not be much for moose. We did get deer on the last day, saw several huge wolves and plenty wolf tracks right neer where we slept on a daily basis, but never even came close to seeing a moose. It was the first time for myself and the wife to get out and hunt together. (Yes she can shoot, gut and skin as well) We are both anxiuos for this year already.

Mad Dog
01-22-2015, 01:53 PM
Your less than an hour away from me.

Tommy
01-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Less than an hour away if I was in Iron bridge, or from Alliston ?

Mad Dog
01-31-2015, 01:51 PM
Iron Bridge.

My stompin grounds is that little island called St Joseph Island just out on Lake Huron.

Tommy
02-02-2015, 02:50 PM
That my friend is awesome, ice fishing and hunting on your doorstep. I envy you, it is a different way of life in that neck of the woods.

wildcat hunter
02-21-2015, 05:42 PM
Mad Dog, You have a lot of Savage ( guns ) knowledge, I enjoy reading your responses. When I see your replies I figure thats it, no futher discussion needed. Anyway thanks for sharing your knowledge. We have a cabin by Restoule, Ontario, someday soon - I hope to move there and put a home up on the 50 acres. We ( wife too, just bought her a 250 from the custom shop ) have several Savage rifles but trying to get them there might be a problem - not sure.

Mad Dog
02-22-2015, 12:54 AM
Thanks Wildcat.

If your planning on actually moving there then you shouldn't have much of a problem. Ever since we got rid of the liberals and we got rid of the long gun registry you should have no problems with some paperwork at Canada customs to lawfully bring them with you.

Our gun laws are actually a lot more lax than your new 911 laws. I have to go through my truck with a fine toothed comb before I even take my truck across to fill it up because even one 22 shell under the back seat will get me in a whole lotta trouble with the U.S. border guys.

langenc
03-02-2015, 11:36 PM
Thanks Wildcat.

If your planning on actually moving there then you shouldn't have much of a problem. Ever since we got rid of the liberals and we got rid of the long gun registry you should have no problems with some paperwork at Canada customs to lawfully bring them with you.

Our gun laws are actually a lot more lax than your new 911 laws. I have to go through my truck with a fine toothed comb before I even take my truck across to fill it up because even one 22 shell under the back seat will get me in a whole lotta trouble with the U.S. border guys.

I suspect that is the case going either way. For a few yrs I made several crossings. At Port Huron all they cared about was guns. When I crossed at Detroit it was birth certs for my kids, didn't have any. I was told "don't come back without em" so next time I had had em out the window when I drove up. That dude didn't care if he ever saw one. I made him look at them--cause "I was told NOT to come back without them."

wildcat hunter
03-03-2015, 06:19 AM
When I head for the cabin I time it so we are at the border around 2:00 - 3:00 in the morning. The guys never gave me a second glance. I was told at that time is best because they are in the sleep pattern mode, what ever that is. But it works. I have taken archery stuff to the cabin and they didn't even want to see it.