PDA

View Full Version : About to give up on the whole Savage Long Action build thing.

Pages : 1 [2]

TORCHRIDER
01-23-2015, 07:18 AM
It sounds like you've found your stock, but just in case and for information sake....I built a .223 on a Boyds stock and did not install pillars out of laziness to see how it would shoot. I did use some aluminum tape around the inside of the stock where it mates to the action as sort of an impromptu and quick "bedding" fix. It absolutely shoots lights out in this stock with a factory 20" varmint weight used Savage barrel I picked up in the classifieds on here. These stocks are really nice, and I think will shoot great with no work out of the box.
Now, I'm not going to try to argue whether it would make a difference and do better bedded/pillared, etc., but it shoots some of the smallest groups now I've ever shot with any of my rifles.
Here's my load up work for 69 smk....that smallest group is in the teens.
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/fullup3/IMG_0332-1.jpg (http://s387.photobucket.com/user/fullup3/media/IMG_0332-1.jpg.html)

This is good info. Thanks for sharing. I just might have to look into a Boyds at some point.

TORCHRIDER
01-23-2015, 07:19 AM
Okay.. I also found a factory synthetic stock with pillars that i'll let go for cheap, if you end up needing it.

Thank You Stu. I will certainly let you know.

scpaul
01-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Torchrider, I understand your frustration. I've been building a fairly simple wildcat since Oct.- Nov. 2013. I've had to deal with 6 mos. delivery instead of 6 weeks, wrong parts, wrong headspace gauge and bottom metal/magazine. Bedded and installed pillars and because the throat on the reamer is quite a bit longer than what I expected, so the rounds needed to be +/- .250" longer fit the chamber. Then they were .250+/- longer than the stock's blind mag could accept. I had to remove most of the bedding and remove 1 pillar. I'll stop there but, there is quite a bit more. It's become personal and I'll be d@xxed if I'm going to let luck, karma or whatever beat me. I'm hoping to have it finished by deer season this August 15th. Relax, take a deep breath and don't give up. You aren't the only one in this boat, Paul :frusty: