PDA

View Full Version : Need a stock for my older savage action.

JMUPT
01-19-2015, 09:53 PM
I picked up a savage barreled action a couple years ago and just haven't had time to mess with it. It looks to be an older action in short action, the serial # is 260XX. The barrel is screwed in like a Remington with no barrel nut, which I assume the seller had done by a gunsmith. The factory screw spacing measures about 4.5 inches, but the previous owner had the action drilled and tapped for another action screw to make the spacing 5" I assume for a long action stock. I would like to use the original action screw spacing, because the screw doesn't thread in very far before it hits the barrel threads In the new hole that was put in the action. The only stock that I could find that was close to that spacing was from boyds. Here is a link to the stock http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/431000704312_classic-savageandreg-110-intermediate-action-tapered-barrel-channel-pepper-laminate-semiinlet
Would this work for the action that I have, or are there better options out there that I just haven't found. Thanks for any help you all can provide.

bootsmcguire
01-19-2015, 11:52 PM
Boyds is about the only one I can think of for the 4.52" spaced actions. Stocks for those are far and few between. That's probably why the previous owner added the other screw location although I am not sure that it would have allowed the use of a long action stock. I think that it would still be incorrect for the LA.

Bigeclipse
01-20-2015, 11:06 AM
Boyds is about the only one I can think of for the 4.52" spaced actions. Stocks for those are far and few between. That's probably why the previous owner added the other screw location although I am not sure that it would have allowed the use of a long action stock. I think that it would still be incorrect for the LA.

DITTO... Manners/Mcmillan will be able to make you a stock BUT you would likely have to wait "weeks" and cost my guess would be >500$. I have only heard good things about boyds. You may have to lightly sand some things for perfect fitment and pillar bedding is always a plus unless your hunting/shooting distances will be under 300 yards.

Tarheelpwr
01-21-2015, 02:31 PM
Seems like Richards microfit also offer lots of models:

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/actions_available.htm

Be warned. They are an involved DIY type stock. Rough outside. Most recent reviews have said action inletting is pretty close, but you'll spend some time shaping the exterior.