PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Threading Impact on Accuracy

mjphawk
01-19-2015, 08:19 PM
I have a new model 110 FCP HS Precision that I will be having the barrel threaded for a muzzle break and suppressor. I was getting ready to do a load workup for the gun to start to narrow down what it likes as far as charge weights etc.

How much impact on the results of my ladder/OCW load work-up is the threading of the barrel have?
How much impact on the results of my ladder/OCW load work-up are likely to be affected if they remove the barrel and it isn't re-headspaced EXACTLY the same?

The plan is that no (meaningful) length will be cut from the barrel (24") but it will be threaded and re-crowned and then muzzle break added. My assumption is that so long as the length doesn't change much the optimum barrel time will remain fairly consistent and it wouldn't have much impact but would like to hear from someone more experienced than myself.

D.ID
01-19-2015, 09:00 PM
It has never effected mine to have the barrel threaded but I do not remember it ever needing recrowned in the process.
Of course your muzzle brake or suppressor could effect things and if your headspace is not "exactly correct"......all bets are off.

mjphawk
01-19-2015, 11:04 PM
I guess I just assumed they re-crowned when they threaded the barrel. As it relates to headspace I am assuming it will be correct but was curious if it wasn't exactly the same (i.e. Difference between go and no-go gauge) if that throws things off.

sharpshooter
01-20-2015, 01:13 AM
Pretty simple.....none and none.

fgw_in_fla
01-20-2015, 07:58 AM
Because of things like age, shoulder surgery, recoil sucks, etc. I had all my heavy hitters threaded for brakes.

No accuracy changes or issues noted.

Even when reinstalling the barrels and setting head space, no changes noted.

Go ahead. Live a little. Set 'em up with muzzle brakes.
Your chiropractor will appreciate it.

yobuck
01-20-2015, 02:21 PM
Because of things like age, shoulder surgery, recoil sucks, etc. I had all my heavy hitters threaded for brakes.

So, are you saying you cant shoot any better than you could before you spent all that money on muzzel brakes?
Now the poor guy has to worry about this also? lol

fgw_in_fla
01-20-2015, 03:06 PM
So, are you saying you cant shoot any better than you could before you spent all that money on muzzel brakes?

That hurt Buck.
That really hurt.

And I'm not talking about my shoulder, either....

tiny68
01-20-2015, 06:53 PM
I don't own any breaks on my rifles. However, I can't see how adding the mass of a break does impact your optimum load. In point-blank bench rest, many shooter use a tuner composed of a brass (or similar metal) that is moved forward or back only millimeter distances and it adjust the tune of their rifle. This allows shooter to pre-load for matches tune to the conditions with a tuner. Granted, this is for the shooter that the difference between a 0.100" group and a 0.250" group is the difference between first and 20th place in a match... You guys that shoot your guns with and without breaks are going to see if there is any difference in group sizes or point of impact.

Luck, Tim

yobuck
01-20-2015, 07:54 PM
I don't own any breaks on my rifles. However, I can't see how adding the mass of a break does impact your optimum load. In point-blank bench rest, many shooter use a tuner composed of a brass (or similar metal) that is moved forward or back only millimeter distances and it adjust the tune of their rifle. This allows shooter to pre-load for matches tune to the conditions with a tuner. Granted, this is for the shooter that the difference between a 0.100" group and a 0.250" group is the difference between first and 20th place in a match... You guys that shoot your guns with and without breaks are going to see if there is any difference in group sizes or point of impact.

Luck, Tim

I will agree this sounds very very interesting. BUT, pushing my tounge very hard against the roof of my mouth seems to work best for me when i want a really really good group.
Especially in point blank benchrest which i assume means 25yds or less.

D.ID
01-20-2015, 08:46 PM

!LOL!
P.s.......Your chiropractor will not thank you, He has to make a living you know and that little gadget might just cheat him out of some work:)

tiny68
01-21-2015, 12:31 AM
Point-blank BR is 100-200 yard distance. 5 - 5 shot groups or hit the 1/16" dot (5 per target) x 5'for score shooting.

mjphawk
01-21-2015, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am only putting a muzzle break on because I have a Specwar 7.62 suppressor currently sitting in jail. I won't worry too much about when I get it threaded.

Since the goal of my work up is to find a accuracy node that is resistant to small changes in charge weight I would think the change for the muzzle break would be so slight I might not notice.

I suppose the worst than can happen is I figure out that I need to rework up a load anymore time at the range

yobuck
01-21-2015, 11:08 AM
Point-blank BR is 100-200 yard distance. 5 - 5 shot groups or hit the 1/16" dot (5 per target) x 5'for score shooting.

Just joking Tiny as im prone to do.
But thanks for clearing that up as i really didnt know what it was.
Sounds similar to the old hunter class shoots which i really really did take part in.

eddiesindian
01-23-2015, 12:36 AM

+1.............