PDA

View Full Version : need help finding a bolt for my 110

Mikey8
01-18-2015, 07:51 PM
Hello everyone,
thank you for letting me join your site. I have an issue that I am working with right now. I recently picked up a Savage 110 in .223 and the previous owner lost the bolt. I was told it was a long action. It is a 110 and not a model 10. I have photos if i can find out how to attach them. The serial number of the gun starts as F097*** . Can anyone help me or lead me in the right direction as to where I can find one? i have tried Savage, brownells, numrich, gun parts, midway ,shooters supply, and many more with no luck. Someone on Facbook suggested going to this site.
The opening on the receiver is 4" so I do not know if that makes it a long action or a short action.
totally confused here. HELP ! lol

foxx
01-18-2015, 07:57 PM
Welcome,

First, measure the distance, center to center of the action screw holes. That can tell us a little more info. Also, understand that if you do find a bolt that fits properly, the barrel must be re-head spaced to spec against the bolt face.

My first thought is that Numrich would be the most likely vendor for out of production parts. Did you ask for the part or just information on it? It's possible that if you get the part number, they will have it, but they don't want to advise you on which part you need.

yobuck
01-18-2015, 08:20 PM
Some people and some gunsmiths remove bolts from guns. I know a guy very well who still has the bolt from
a custom gun on a Bat action stolen from his home. Just saying.

Mikey8
01-18-2015, 08:28 PM
I talked to numrich and all their parts are out of stock, not backorderable. I already know the headspacing would need checked.

Hotolds442
01-18-2015, 08:33 PM
I'd give Fred a call at SSS. He can walk you through measuring the action to determine which bolt you might need, and probably could provide a bolt, but you will definitely need to have the headspace checked no matter which route you take.

Mikey8
01-18-2015, 10:40 PM
I'd give Fred a call at SSS. He can walk you through measuring the action to determine which bolt you might need, and probably could provide a bolt, but you will definitely need to have the headspace checked no matter which route you take.

Is that Shooters Supply?

Mikey8
01-18-2015, 10:44 PM
someone told me there was a guy on this site named Jim Briggs and he might be able to help, but not sure how i go about contacting him.

Hotolds442
01-19-2015, 12:08 AM
SSS would be Sharp Shooters Supply, and Jim Briggs would be Northland Shooters Supply.
Fred at SSS is sharpshooter on here, and Jim answers to northland.

Mikey8
01-19-2015, 09:21 AM
SSS would be Sharp Shooters Supply, and Jim Briggs would be Northland Shooters Supply.
Fred at SSS is sharpshooter on here, and Jim answers to northland.

Thank you, I will look into both. I did find out for sure it is a 110 Long action chambered in .223

I wish i knew if the 110fxp bolt would fit, i see those on ebay

geargrinder
01-19-2015, 01:24 PM
Like it's been mentioned. Measure the distance between the front two screws (action screws). Tell us that measurement and we can tell you what bolt you need.

There is a strong likelyhood that the Ebay 110fxp bolt will fit, but you need to know if it is a true long action.

Mikey8
01-19-2015, 09:39 PM
Welcome,

First, measure the distance, center to center of the action screw holes. That can tell us a little more info. Also, understand that if you do find a bolt that fits properly, the barrel must be re-head spaced to spec against the bolt face.

My first thought is that Numrich would be the most likely vendor for out of production parts. Did you ask for the part or just information on it? It's possible that if you get the part number, they will have it, but they don't want to advise you on which part you need.

It measures 5 inches from front trigger guard screw to front action mounting screw.

foxx
01-19-2015, 09:46 PM
That's long action, then. Like Geargrinder, I am thinking the one on ebay will work

Mikey8
01-20-2015, 10:49 PM
Like it's been mentioned. Measure the distance between the front two screws (action screws). Tell us that measurement and we can tell you what bolt you need.

There is a strong likelyhood that the Ebay 110fxp bolt will fit, but you need to know if it is a true long action.

gear grinder, i read on a different site that you were really familiar with Savage 110s. Someone said that you mentioned to them that the small and large bolt heads were actually usable both ways. Is this true? I didnt know if i would be able to use a small bolt head on my long action bolt. I located a LA bolt in 30.06 and was hoping to use the majority of the bolt for the .223.

On the other hand, If you really felt that the .223 bolt on ebay for the 110fxp would definitely work, I would go that way.
What is the difference between my LA .223 model 110 and the LA .223 Model 110FXP? If you feel this bolt would work, I am going to "pull the trigger" on the ebay LA 110FXP bolt for .223

thanks again for all the info

Robinhood
01-20-2015, 11:18 PM
The Long Action bolt heads of all face diameters cab be modified, by shortening the "tail" of the he bolt head, to work in a short action bolt. Given the firing pin diameters and lengths one needs to know what the are getting into when swapping bolt parts and actions.

Mikey8
01-20-2015, 11:23 PM
The Long Action bolt heads of all face diameters cab be modified, by shortening the "tail" of the he bolt head, to work in a short action bolt. Given the firing pin diameters and lengths one needs to know what the are getting into when swapping bolt parts and actions.

if you read the posts above Robinhood, I need a long action so need the longer bolt head, not the shorter one.

geargrinder
01-21-2015, 12:57 AM
I'm reasonably confident that the 110fxp bolt is correct.

However, the 30-06 bolt is for sure the correct length. You can get a long action 223 bolt head from PTG and the long leg baffle from Midway. You might want to price it both ways.

Don't forget, you'll need to check headspace with either one.

Robinhood
01-21-2015, 08:01 PM
Someone said that you mentioned to them that the small and large bolt heads were actually usable both ways. Is this true? I didnt know if i would be able to use a small bolt head on my long action bolt.
I attempted to answer this question not realizing that some experience might be required to understand that if you have to cut a long action bolthead to work in a short action then a spacer would be required to use that shorter bolthead in a long action(not a good option). The distance from the cross pin to the rear end of the bolthead is different between the actions. The firing pin design may or may not inhibit your ability to use the short in a long.

This photo taken from the Savage facts may demonstrate the differences better than i can type.
http://www.savageshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=635&d=1341581420&stc=1

This was taken from an article in the Savage Faq's section. This is the link...
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?131-Savage-Bolt-Head-Configurations.

It looks like somebody or somebody's have gone to a lot of trouble to provide some great info. The Savage Faq's is a must read for all who ask questions on the forum.