PDA

View Full Version : Axis bolt handle

raygonz
01-18-2015, 09:04 AM
Hi folks, I am a new Savage owner. I may have read this already from google searches but can't remember, so sorry for the redundancy. But I just want to make sure because I am new with this rifle, if I want to switch out the bolt handle and/or bolt handle and bolt on my Axis. Because I am having trouble finding accessories for the Axis, for the bolt handle and bolt, apparently I can just buy the Savage 110 bolt handle and pop that into my Axis? Is this true? And if so can I do this for the bolt too and other parts on my Axis? Like maybe the stock if need be?

Thanks

DrThunder88
01-18-2015, 10:37 AM
Yes and no on the bolt handle. There will be no primary extraction with a 110 bolt handle, but people have used them without problems when shooting standard pressure loads.

Barrels interchange with the 1X/11X rifles, and Accutrigger assemblies can be transplanted to the Axis without much doing. Short action bolt head assemblies are the same as those on the Axis, but (if memory serves) bolt bodies are not. Axis magazines with the plastic spring tab are now standard in some 1X/11X rifles like the Trophy Hunter packages, but the older metal floorplate magazines will not. Two-piece scope mounts will also interchange with round top mounts, but one-piece mounts will not.

Stocks are not compatible between Axis and 1X/11X lines. Recoil lugs are also different, though the Axis can be fitted for a standard lug, it is takes a good bit of machining and still requires an Axis stock.

short round
01-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Bolt body will not interchange. Short, long, Axis are different length. Bolt head will interchange.

DrThunder88
01-19-2015, 02:41 AM
Short action bolt heads interchange. Long action bolt heads have to be modified to allow the firing pin to protrude and, unless I'm mistaken, will need to have the barrel set forward.