PDA

View Full Version : Cut my 22-250 axis barrel or have one made for direct thread suppressor.

Halfnelson
01-16-2015, 06:13 PM
I wanted to see if any one could give some advice on cutting a 22-250 stainless savage axis barrel in a 1-12 twist. I am thinking I would have it cut to 18 inches maybe even 17inches and have it it threaded for a direct mount titanium suppressor about 7 inches long and around a pound in weight.

I also thought I could if need be get an after market barrel and have a faster twist maybe 1-8 or 1-9 and shoot 60 grain bullets.

I already have a Boyd's thumb hole stock and with the factory barrel and hand loaded 52 grain bergers fb hollow points using 36 gr of varget I run speeds of 3550.

I want to keep the length manageable as I use this gun as a coyote gun and am in and out of the truck doing stands and want to keep it reasonably quick to get into action while still taking a shot out to 600 yards now and again.

currently I can shoot sub inch groups at 200 yards using a 3.5-21 ers elite tactical from bushnell for optics.

thanks for the advice on length and twist.

darkker
01-16-2015, 07:25 PM
Don't know if a factory sporter barrel has enough meat to thread, will have to get your calipers on it.

As for the twist, it isn't about bullet weight; it's about bullet length.
Google: "JBM Stability Calculator" You can look-up bullet lengths and imput them into the stability calc to see if you will have a prayer in stabilizing them.
The next step is to not over-spin things. MV*720/Twist = RPM Sierra has the highest 22-cal RPM limit in their Blitz line, or approx. 320,000 RPM. Hornady runs approx. 290,000 RPM. Barrel smoothness and actual twist rate dependant of course.

bootsmcguire
01-16-2015, 11:02 PM
I would go with an 18" barrel in a magnum or varmint contour and have it threaded and use a 9" twist so you can use the slightly heavier pills.

Give Jim at www.apachegunworks.com (http://www.apachegunworks.com) a shout and he will build you just what you need at a good price and a quick turnaround time.

Halfnelson
01-17-2015, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the opinions.
I was leaning towards getting the 1-9 twist 18 inch barrel made. I am guessing this option with the 60 gr or even the right 55 grain projectile will be more accurate with two full revolutions before it exits the barrel. if I do get this made does any one style of riffling offer better velocity In a shorter barrel over others? I see several options but not sure what the benefit of any one type would be.

bootsmcguire
01-17-2015, 02:06 AM
Button Rifling will work fine. The quality of the blank will have a greater impact. Smooth riflings will keep the bullet together better and get you a bit better speeds. Button rifled blanks are normally easier locate with more choices. but that has just been my experience.