PDA

View Full Version : Buy Donor Gun or Target Action?

Saghi
01-16-2015, 05:54 PM
Hello,

I'm looking to start my first Savage build in 260 rem.

I'm currently looking for a short action savage or Stevens but have not had much luck in the used market. Most of them I've found are not much cheaper than new around here. Now I've been throwing around the idea of buying a savage target action.

If it was between buying the target action or a new savage as the donor, what would you do? The savage package deals I could sell the barrel, stock, and scope. I could get the package for the same price as the target action so the savings would be what I could get for those takeoffs.

This gun is just for fun. Hunting and target shooting. I love to build things and am always tinkering with what I have. Budget is a little bit of concern but I could spring for the target action if I wanted to. What do you think?

Is the target accutrigger much of an improvement? With a regular accutrigger, I'd probably replace it. Not out of necessity but just cause I believe I'd want to at some point. Just the way I am.

What at would you do?

darkker
01-16-2015, 07:21 PM
My thought is to stay away from the Target action. Large Shank barrels are not a common in the aftermarket world, and a smaller market for re-selling. As far as selling barrels, join and take a look in the classified ads, but around $75 for a brand new take-off is generally a price seen regularly.

The reason that many want it, is for the lighter target accu-trigger.
Personally, a properly adjusted 3-screw is worlds better than the accu-triggers; and hear good things about some aftermarket stuff.
The accu-triggers have a widely known "half-drop" problem if adjusted to lightly, and they tend to half-drop if there is any side-loading of the trigger.

D.ID
01-16-2015, 09:05 PM
I have no beef with the target action and would not hesitate to buy one but if your looking to do it cheeper the "hog hunter" has bean my solution.
It's cheep and has the large bolt handle, standard accutrigger and a fairly easy to sell barrel. Stock probably not worth much (I have a pile of em) but you don't pay much for it.

romad97
01-16-2015, 09:35 PM
Well since you say for fun and hunting I would rule out the target action. Not that it won't work, it would work fine but, why limit yourself to one shot on a hunting rifle. One thing i have learned the hard way over the years is that there is no such thing as a do it all rifle. Every rifle has a specific task that it does better than another. I would first decide what my actual intent for it is and go from there. Either way, I still think a repeater would be a better option for you than a target action. If you join the forums here you can browse the classifieds. Complete rifles come up regularly and offer good prices for a donor action. I have seen several rifles in the $400 range. You could sell the stock for $40 and the barrel for $70 and then your only $290 into the action. Can't beat that price with a stick.

Saghi
01-17-2015, 12:31 AM
Thanks guys. Very helpful so far. I think I will rule out the target action, now. As suggested above, I would prefer a repeater. I'm not very patient and want to get this thing moving. I will keep looking for something used until I can't wait anymore and then look into buying something new.

D.ID
01-17-2015, 07:09 PM
You can buy a hog hunter repeater new for 450+/- which beats a used one for 400 in my book and brand new barrels are easier to sell.
I started using my favorite rifle (a single shot) for hunting a few years back.........now it's all I use for big game.
I have found for me it puts a new significance on that first shot being the only one that matters, clearly just psychological but has increased first round hits in the heat of the moment to 100% so far.
Even when there is use for a follow up shot it is fast enough, considering it's already bean hit good once. Repeaters are nice..........but over rated.

LongRange
01-17-2015, 07:42 PM
i dont hunt but can tell you that i prefer a single shot over a repeater any day...reasons are several but one in particular is i have a 110BA that will hang up and not chamber a round every now and then...i also have a single shot target action that ive shot 2500+ rounds through and it has NEVER not chambered a round...is it as fast as a repeater...no but i bet money i can almost keep up...in hunting everyone says its the first round that counts so do you need a repeater for hunting? if the answer is yes then id suggest you work on your cold bore shots at the distances you plan to place kill shots.

maxl
01-18-2015, 12:02 PM
I have no beef with the target action and would not hesitate to buy one but if your looking to do it cheeper the "hog hunter" has bean my solution.
It's cheep and has the large bolt handle, standard accutrigger and a fairly easy to sell barrel. Stock probably not worth much (I have a pile of em) but you don't pay much for it.
Very good advice

jerry shaw
01-24-2015, 11:41 AM
There is another interesting option. The model 12 LRP is available in .260 Rem with a target action and a magazine. I have been looking really hard at this combination and plan to pick one up in a week or two. Part of the reason is that it's a great combination of the pieces and parts I want. Second, the price is somewhat below what I would expect to pay if I tried to put together the components I want.

I own several Savages with both target actions and conventional 10/11/12 short actions. They all do fine.

Regarding the target accutrigger - you have to get some time on it to get all the advantage out of it. If a shooter is not careful, bad things can happen. You have to ensure that you get a straight pull. That is, don't put pressure on the side of the trigger. You also can't slam the bolt shut when the trigger weight is set very low. This can cause the sear to come out of battery only to be stopped by the accu-release. The system works. A little more weight on the accutrigger generally eliminates this problem. These comments come from my experience with Savage Palmas (probably around 5,000 rounds) and LRPVs.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-24-2015, 12:11 PM
If you're planning to "build", why not get it built the way YOU want it? If it was me, I'de go with a Stevens action. Low cost from the start. Any caliber would do. Get rid on the barrel and stock.
Or, find one in .260. Add a Rifle Basix trigger and you're half way there. Find a stock that you like and go shooting. Plan ahead and set it up the way YOU want it from the start.

Model12BVSS
01-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Check out gander mountain. They usually have Stevens 200 rifles at cheap prices. Get one chambered in anything based off .308 case (.243 Win, 7-08, .308 Win) and get yourself a McGowen or Criterion barrel in 260 Rem in the length and contour of your choice. You can use the cheap stock for load work up (provided it can be made to free float your barrel) until you decide on which stock or chassis system you want to go with. That's if you don't have the patience to wait until you get the stock you want. I know I don't. As others have said I wouldn't use a target action on a combination hunting/paper punching rifle. If you're fond of the Accu-Trigger like I am, give Jim at Northland Shooters Supply a call, I'm pretty sure he's got brand new centerfeed, round back short action assemblies in stock. You could get a Criterion barrel from his as well and be well on your way to awesomeness. I'm doing a 7mm Rem Mag buid and although it's getting expensive, it's my first build and it's super satisfying knowing I'm piecing together exactly what I want out of the rifle.