PDA

View Full Version : which case trimmer?

Pages : [1] 2

boy412
04-30-2010, 09:21 PM
I have everything I need to start reloading for my 12LRPV (.223) except a case trimmer. Most of my gear is Redding, and I like it just fine. So naturally I looked at their case trimmer first. Midway has the 2400 on sale right now, and thats probably the route I'll take. But I thought I'd ask and see what case trimmers most people preferred. I'm not going to be doing a lot of trimming, so the powered options don't appeal to me.

The RCBS one looks nice and I like the idea of the 3-way cutter head.

I'm probably over thinking this. Its a trimmer...how much to it is there? But like all things there is stuff that sucks and stuff that doesn't. Any input is (as always) greatly appreciated.

I can't wait to start cranking out some rounds and start working up a load my rifle likes. Have some BL-C2 powder to start with and a good supply of CCI 400 primers.

:)

pa hog
04-30-2010, 09:41 PM
I used a Forester for awhile but then upgraded to the 2400, never looked back ,great trimmer. Take's awhile to get used to it but once you get your numbers on the Micrometer, repeating setting's between Calibers is very quick and repeatable.

Dennis
04-30-2010, 09:52 PM
I have a RCBS and a Forester, I use the Forester the most and have a RCBS mainly because I can get a 6.5 3 way cutter! Forester has not made a 6.5 3 way yet!

boy412
05-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Yes, that 3-way cutter head is pretty slick. Hopefully others will offer something similar on their case trimmers!

Given that the 2400 is on sale right now, and comes with primer pocket cleaners and brushes too, I think that's what I'll do.

Thanks!

dcloco
05-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Google "possum hollow case trimmer" might be just the item you are looking for. Caliber specific.

I have a small family of Forster trimmers. Why? They are versatile and cheaper to purchase all of the other items needed to do case prep with. One is always set up to outside turn case necks. Others are set up caliber specific.

Simple, easy, accurate, AND less expensive than any other brand out there.

82boy
05-01-2010, 05:44 PM
I have used a few diferent case trimmers, and I must say out off them all I would say Wilson is flat out the best.

EFBell
05-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Forster for me. I have had it a long time, it has never given me a problem. Yes, it takes a little time to swap calibers but were talking minutes.

LHitchcox
05-01-2010, 06:39 PM
I have the Possum Hollow for .223. Love the speed and accuracy with the drill attachment. Set it and go. The user holds the case head in hand and feeds the case into the cutter head, which sets the cutting off the shoulder. My son has two ARs, so it can be a lot of work feeding them. The Possum Hollow is up to the task.

I am also a fan of the Lee case trimmer set up. It also uses a drill to speed up production. For a fellow with only a couple of calibers to load for, they are cheaper than buying a lathe type trimmer.

McKinneyMike
05-01-2010, 07:56 PM
I have used a few diferent case trimmers, and I must say out off them all I would say Wilson is flat out the best.

+1 on the Wilson. Only because I have never tried anything else :)

boy412
05-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Volume (or speed) isn't one of my primary concerns. Build quality, precision, and the end result are what I care most about.

The Wilson product looks quite nice! I have their deburring tool and its quite good...nice and sharp. It sure would be cheaper than the Redding 2400.

People with the Wilson...how do you have it set up on your bench? Anyone with the Sinclair stand?

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/5494/Case-Trimmers?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&mc_id=8000&cvsfa=2427&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=35343934

I like how it can be used to ream primer pockets. Most of the brass I have is once-fired Lake City mil-spec stuff.

Thanks for the input everyone...

McKinneyMike
05-01-2010, 08:15 PM
I have made my own stand for the Wilson. The Sinclair stand looks like it is AOK. When i was searching for a case trimmer, I was overwhelmingly steered to the Wilson. I like mine a great deal, even though I am just a beginner reloader. Super nice and accurate.

82boy
05-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Volume (or speed) isn't one of my primary concerns. Build quality, precision, and the end result are what I care most about.

That sentence screams Wilson trimmer.

People with the Wilson...how do you have it set up on your bench? Anyone with the Sinclair stand?

I have a Sinclair stand, with the old style holder. (Not the new shark fin) I have mine held to the bench with 2 c-clamps. I can also take it on the road and secure it to a shooting bench and do my loading at the range.

I like how it can be used to ream primer pockets. Most of the brass I have is once-fired Lake City mil-spec stuff.

O' it does more than just that. I use the inside reamer to cut out donuts, and to chamfer the end of the neck. You can also uniform primer pockets, chamfer the neck to a standard or VLD angle. You can power it with a drill or screw driver, and it is cheaper than most trimmers. When they designed this thing hundreds of years ago, they got it right. It is like the Kerby sweepers of trimmers. ;)

GaCop
05-02-2010, 06:08 AM
I've been using my Forster since 1972, no complaints.

torjy
05-02-2010, 07:21 AM
I too use a Wilson trimmer with old style Sinclair stand held to the bench with 2 c-clamps. It has served me well for 15 + years and the C clamp setup allows me to free up bench space for other uses. I started out with the RCBS pilot-type trimmer and consider it a waste of money.

boy412
05-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks for all of the input...I've struck paydirt! Wilson it is....

Dennis
05-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Just looked at the Wilson on Sinclair's site since there were so many comments about it. LOOKS like a fine trimmer!

82boy
05-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks for all of the input...I've struck paydirt! Wilson it is....

There is one other trimmer that I would consider if you can find one. CH (Now owned by 4d) use to make a trimmer almost identical to the Wilson. In fact, the parts interchange, and it use to be a common mod to take the CH ends and put them on a Wilson trimmer and this gave move travel area for big shells. The plus to the CH trimmer is it had a rail cut in each side of the unit, and a hood slid on this rail to hold down the shell holder. Just kind of a neat function IMO. You will have to find one used, because they have not been made for some time. If you like E-Bay you can find them on there most of the time. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200463919341&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

amadjuster
05-03-2010, 05:39 PM
I have used a Lyman for many years with no problems. It was a lot cheaper 30 years ago!

BillPa
05-04-2010, 04:51 PM
There is one other trimmer that I would consider if you can find one. CH (Now owned by 4d) use to make a trimmer almost identical to the Wilson. In fact, the parts interchange
[/quote]

Yeah, I have about a half dozen CH holders I use in my Wilson.

A few mods for the Wilson....
http://i47.tinypic.com/5yum0x.jpg

Replace the adjustment lock set screw with a Thumb screw. Put a piece of nylon in the hole to protect the threads.

Add a 1/4" lock collar ( non micrometer models) or something similar on the adjustment screw. It serves two purposes. One, with the thumb screw it can be adjusted without tools and two, making and recording the distance between the collar and adjustment screw boss returning to a previous trim length is easy. You can also make up "Standards" to length, place them between the collar and boss for resetting without measuring.

I also made SR and LR primer pocket uniformers. The green stuff under the one uniformer on the left is a nylon type material for bumping the cartridges in and out of the holders without damage.

It also goes without saying, Wilson or otherwise..keep the cutter sharp. From new and occasionally during use I'll touch the flutes up with a diamond hone. If its sharp it will peel off brass like a banana with less effort and less burrs.

Bill

snipecatcher
05-04-2010, 05:58 PM
My Wilson set-up:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f159/ddsr5/MyPicture.jpg

I mounted it to a tray that I found at Target. The tray is bolted to a piece of white plastic cutting board material for rigidity. Just in front of the trimmer is a wood block with the same cutting board material epoxied to the top, for tapping shells into/out of case holders. I could C-clamp it to the bench, but I usually just set the whole contraption in my lap, and it works great. I mostly did it this way because I was tired of brass shavings ending up everywhere.
-Dan