PDA

View Full Version : Savage Edge rifle

Pages : [1] 2

uncleslim
04-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Hey Everyone!

Just layed away one of the new Savage Edge rifles in 223 with the Bushnell 3-9x40 scope. They call it the XP package. Dunham's had them for $329. They only had 2 so I layed it away, I will pick it up monday. I have heard people criticizing them before they get out of the starting gate. But I have read a few very thourogh reviews by Jeff Quinn and a fellow named Heally. From what I can tell it seems to be a solid rifle. It has the standard black synthetic stock, but I noticed the wrist was rather thin. That is OK for me because I have small hands anyway. It has a 2 position safety in the same spot as most Savage/Stevens 200 rifles. It has a very nice butt pad, but I don't imagine the .223 has much kick anyway. The reciever looks very solid. It has a smaller ejection port than some rifles on the market, but I don't foresee that as being a problem. It has the same barrel nut assembly as the other centerfire Savage and Stevens rifles. It is supposed to shoot 1 MOA out of the box. The scope is a basic Bushnell. It is not a top of the line scope, but I am sure it will function well. This is my third Savage/Stevens rifle. I have had very good luck with the first two, a 93r17FV in .17 cal, and a Stevens 200 in 30-06. As soon as I take it to the range, I will let you know how it performs.

Thanks
uncleslim

82boy
04-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the site.
I did a review on the rifle, available to paid members of this site. I believe it describes more in detail the workings of the Edge, over any other article out there presently.

With the Edge, it is a good rifle if you never plan on changing a thing about it, and just shoot it. The rifle will shoot like any other factory Savage sporter barrel rifle.

Downsides of the rifle are: the stock has flex, with the trigger group there is not possibility of an aftermarket trigger, and 3lbs is as low as one can be tweaked by an smith. The stock is not interchangeable with any other rifle. The spacing between scope bases means there are no one piece mount available, (EGW is in the work with one) and scope selection is critical do to the large space between mounts.

If you really love your Stevens 200 you may be disappointed with the Edge, it just doesn't compare to the Stevens, and for the price difference you may want to just buy another Stevens, that gun has a ton of potential, which the edge does not.

psharon97
04-30-2010, 09:03 PM
One thing to keep in mind about the edge is that its meant for regular guys to buy a rifle and shoot it, not like us who like to build customs rifles off one action. Savage is just keeping up with remington, mossberg, and other brands that offer 'cheap' lines of rifles. For savage, its going to be the edge. Remington its the 770. Can't remember what mossberg is.

shadoweng
05-01-2010, 09:40 AM
My gunsmith - very critical, knowledgeable, and a builder of world class benchrest shooters - recently received and dissected one. He had nothing but praise for it. This review seems to bear that out: http://randywakeman.com/SavageEdge223.htm

DGD6MM
05-01-2010, 09:49 AM
I still would not own one.

Frankdm
05-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Just picked up a Savage XP lastnight for $301 + tax. I got it in .243, good for woodchuck, coyote & deer. I was really surprised how well built the rifle was. The scope isn't a high dollar piece but it will do the job for me. The action is really smooth, the clip is easy to get out and put back in. The rifle seems to fall right in place when you shoulder it. I've looked at some Remington and Mossberg rifles in the same class as the EDGE and Savage has them beat badly !!! Accuracy should be pretty good since it has a free floating barrel and the dual pillar bedding. From what i've been told the EDGE has the same barrel as the Stevens 200. I believe the EDGE will probably put a hurting on Stevens 200 sales, it's alot less money, looks awesome in black and has a nice variety of calibers to fit anybody's hunting needs. My son has a Stevens 200 in 22-250 and after comparing both rifles side by side there really isn't that much differance. He actually was impressed with the EDGE especially after he found out what I paid for it and what he has in his Stevens ! I'm telling you this gun is going to catch on and Savage is going to really be pleased with the results. Remember years ago Savage brought out a little affordable gun called the 340 and even though it wasn't the best looking rifle it sure made a statement with being a tough and very accurete firearm. I own 5 of those old Savage rifles and love 'em to death. All the wrong in this world it looks like Savage may have made a right.

Frankdm
05-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Just got the EDGE all sighted in ready for taking care of some woodchuck this weekend. Set it in 1'' high at 100 yards which puts the Federal Premium 70 gr. Nossler Ballistic Tip about 2'' low at 200 yards, not too bad for a .243. The gun performed really well, loved the recoil pad even though the .243 doesn't have much rearward motion.The Bushnell was a breeze to get zeroed in. It was actually pretty close right out of the box as it is factory bore sighted.Trigger pull isn't quite as crisp as my Winchester 70, but it really didn't feel that bad, it's something I can live with. Some one just starting out in the awesome sport of Hunting would really benefit from a rifle like this. I am seriosly thinking about buying another EDGE maybe in 30-06. I personally would like to see Savage bring the EDGE out in the 22 Hornet or 222 !! I know I'd get one in the Hornet.

Frankdm
05-24-2010, 02:40 PM
.243 Federal Premium Ammo performed very well out of the EDGE. My last 3 shots could have been covered by a nickel which really made me happy!

Frankdm
05-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Test fired 100gr. Remington Core- Lokt ammo out of the 243 EDGE yesterday after I set it in on Federal Premium 70 gr. and was really impressed with the group. 3 shots at 110 yards measured a little under 7/8'' of an inch,which is pretty decent for basic ammo. My brother gave me a couple of boxes so I thought I would see how they performed. I'm going to stick with the Federal Premium ammo, I was just curious how the Edge handles differant brands of ammo. Check out July's issue of Guns & Ammo, real nice article on the Savage Edge!!

uncleslim
06-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Got the Edge and love it!.....Got an e-mail from a representative of RifleBasix and he said they are re-working their trigger for the standard Savage, so it will fit the Savage Edge. He said the price would be $84.95 shipped First Class Mail. He said the trigger could be adjusted 1-3 lbs.

pdog06
06-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Got an e-mail from a representative of RifleBasix and he said they are re-working their trigger for the standard Savage, so it will fit the Savage Edge. He said the price would be $84.95 shipped First Class Mail. He said the trigger could be adjusted 1-3 lbs.

Now that is some good news. Thanks for the update.

Balljoint
06-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Just today received my JULY issue of Guns & Ammo Savage Edge is on the cover the story inside says they seem to like it very much

sharpshooter
06-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Have they ever seen anything they didn't like???

lostart
06-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Very true.

Spade Cooley
06-02-2010, 08:02 AM
But why did they have to make it so ugly? They could make it just as inexpensive and have better looking lines on this rifle. Savage has a better idea on function but why can't they copy the lines and bolt designs of proven old timers.

Frankdm
06-02-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't think the Edge looks too bad in black, I put a bipod on it & a black sling to dress it up a bit. I think the camo stock looks pretty bad. My son bought a paint kit to spray his grey stock on his Stevens 200 and it turned out real nice. You could always do the same thing to the Edge, it would probably make a big differance in the appearance of the gun. I am really happy with my Edge so far. Not the best looking rifle i've got but sure is accurate. It kinda reeminds me of my old Savage 340's I own, they weren't very good looking either but accuracy & dependability was second to none !!

Grover3014
06-03-2010, 12:13 AM
I bought a 223 Edge and it is a great little gun. I bought a cheaper scope but that's fine too. Not all of us that are buying these things need a hi-dollar gun. The clip is fine, the bolt works good and it is fun to shoot. It kills rocks and targets just fine. I think most people will find it satisfactory.

Frankdm
06-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Grover3014, Glad you like your Edge! I almost ordered mine in 223, but I've got 5 22 Hornet rifles, a 222 and a 22-250 so i decided on a 243. I priced the Edge at quite a few places and the average price was around $299 but didnot come with the scope. I found a local gunshop that would get me the Edge XP WHICH INCLUDES THE SCOPE FOR $301 PLUS TAX which came to $321.24!! I couldn't pass it up.I really like the Edge, it's just all Savage to me.I'm a huge fan & collector of Savage 340's and this gun just reminds me of a 340. It seems like alot of people are kind of disappointed in the gun, cutting down the trigger and or stock or they should of put a better scope on it. The gun is a ENTRY LEVEL firearm designed and manufactured by Savage to compete against lower priced rifles from Remington & Mossberg. Put a AccuTrigger, Redfield 3x9x40, Hard Wood stock and you've got a sticker somewhere around $450 - $499 !! I really believe Savage hit a GRANDSLAM with the Edge. Hopefully Savage brings out the 22 Hornet in the Edge because I'll buy one . Good Luck with your 223 !!

06-16-2010, 03:12 AM
So the Edge has 2 sets of stocks one for short actions and one for long actions. And the magazines are separately sized. I think very smart.

LHitchcox
06-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Only one stock, but two trigger guards. The short action trigger guard has a half inch space built into it. To go from short action to long action you would swap trigger guards. The magazine for a short action is half inch shorter than the long action and the magazine for a .223 size is the length of a .243 mag with a spacer built into the back of the mag. I looked over a couple of Edges at Sportsman's Warehouse and noted these differences.