PDA

View Full Version : Savage Long Action Stocks - Tactical (MDT or McRee's Precision...others???)

jrmy_1
01-15-2015, 11:17 AM
So, I built a Savage 116 in .308 with a Brux barrel probably 5 or 6 years ago and have never put it into a nice stock....it's still in the plastic stock.

I really liked the McRee's Precision stock at the time (and it was the only modular stock option I knew of) but now I see that a company MDT makes a modular stock (mdttac.com). One of the issues with McRee's Precision is that they only offer the stock in a short action. I've been talking with folks from McCree's precision for the past 5-6 years as they've been telling me that they are working on a long action version of their modular stock but to this date they haven't made anything yet and I just talked with them last week and they said to call back in the beginning of January as they are going to SHOT show and will be releasing new stuff following SHOT.

Now, the MDT modular stock is currently available in long action. They offer two versions, one is a LSS (supposed to be light weight) the other is the TAC21. For some reason, the TAC21 says that it's for long range and the LSS is for medium range but I'm not sure what would make the difference between the two as they both seem the same. I would be interested in the LSS version since it's lighter and I already have bedded 20moa bases on the rifle. This weighs about 1.7lbs and doesn't include the stock but utilizes standard AR15 components.

The McRee stock comes as the whole thing with a side folder stock for ease of cleaning. For the MDT stock, I would need to buy a folding AR15 adapter (if they make one, a stock, etc.) although not that big of a deal l guess.

I'm guessing the would both need a skim bed for exact fitment which isn't a big deal. I guess I'm looking for first hand experiences between the two, does anyone recommend or not recommend one versus the other, are there any other offerings out there (not looking for a composite that requires a lot of work).

Thx!
J

LoneWolf
01-15-2015, 11:28 AM
Check out the XLR Element. You may find it better fits your needs. The biggest issue I forsee with the LSS stock is that the forearm is extremely short. If you are using this on a short barreled set up it will probably work out fine, but if you are using a longer barrel with bipod or rest you may find you don't have enough forearm on the LSS to properly balance the rifle. XLR has a few chassis as well and I believe they are all better designs than the MDT Chassis's. However if I was building a light weight pack rifle with a 16-20" barrel I would be interested in the LSS with a folding stock option.

jrmy_1
01-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the option LW! It's definitely not a pack rifle with a 30" bull barrel...lol. Looks like the Element isn't offered in the long action but some of the others models are. I'll need to see if they have a folder option or not, even though I only would like it for cleaning without having to move the cheek weld.

Are there any other options out there for a tactical style drop in chassis? I'd like to see the McRee chassis offered in a long action but I just can't wait any more.....

LoneWolf
01-15-2015, 02:02 PM
they do. for a 30" bull I would highly consider the evolution Chassis!

jrmy_1
01-15-2015, 03:43 PM
Dang, I don't think my scope will clear the hand guard on the evolution. I've got a question into them to see if they'll be making the element to fit a Savage Long Action. In the mean time, I'm also going to hound McRee on their chassis. Thanks for the help. Let me know if anyone knows of any other options as well!

Stu
01-15-2015, 07:56 PM
http://youtu.be/MXvumyEpEQw they make this for a savage. long and short action.

jrmy_1
01-15-2015, 10:48 PM
Those awt stocks seem pretty nice. Wish they had a folder. Also didn't see any option to attach a rear monopod. Calling them tomorrow though.

SSW7
01-16-2015, 06:11 PM
I have an AWT long action stock for my Savage with a bull 27" barrel and is well balanced. It does have a pic rail on the stock for a rear monopod.

Overall not a bad chassis and a lot of thought went into it. One of the biggest features is it's weight, just over 4Lbs, it would have to be one of the lighter full length chassis. I bought one of the first production runs and had to mill the trigger cut out to fit a SSS comp trigger, widen the recoil lug notch and only the older sear/bolt release would work. Not sure if the newer stocks have this done now.

I also have a McRee short action Savage stock and find the AWT a lot more comfortable to use.

If you want any more info on the AWT let me know.