PDA

View Full Version : M10 Problem... Frustration!

LoneWolf
01-14-2015, 11:36 PM
So had taken the new rig out to break in my new barrel from Jim at AGW. I settled in loaded to first round. Took a breath, let it out and squeezed the trigger "click". Hmm Pulled the round out and no strike on the primer. Tried one more time and decided maybe the head space was off. So I finally got around to taking a look today and found the head space was only slightly loose where I could force the bolt to close further instead of the usual hard stop. no big deal tightened that up real quick and grabbed a primed piece of brass to double check before my planned trip to the range on Friday.

Still.... "click"... Hmmm ok. So I pulled the bolt and began taking it apart and believe it or not the firing pin is damaged like the tip looks like it was cut nice and straight. I have no idea if maybe I had dropped it when I had it apart a few weeks ago or what, but my newly re-barreled M10 is out of commission until I can get Savage to send me a new firing pin. Then I have to learn how to set the proper firing pin protrusion. Oh the fun and mysteriousness of firearms and their random failures.

Back to waiting to get it shooting again! Rats.....

JW
01-15-2015, 06:55 AM
Not sure, but there might be enough adjustment on the pin to make the old one work
Round the tip and give it a try
Jack

LoneWolf
01-15-2015, 10:05 AM
I thought about that maybe I'll play with it today, but it's quite a bit shorter than I remember.

LoneWolf
01-15-2015, 11:32 AM
Looked up a picture because I couldn't remember exactly what it looked like unbroken and the entire portion of the most narrow part of the pin snapped off. No making that work. Will have to wait on Savage to finally send me the waiver to order a new one. Never had a firing pin break before and I really have no idea when it would have occured.

short round
01-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Measured adjustable fp at 4.394" short action.

LoneWolf
01-15-2015, 11:44 AM
Found the entire assembly in stock on Numrich. Went ahead and order it.

eddiesindian
01-23-2015, 12:33 AM
possible dry fire causing the break?

LoneWolf
01-23-2015, 12:35 AM
Maybe. Not 100% sure