PDA

View Full Version : Choate bed or not

InfoSecDM
04-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Hello I have a savage 10fcp-k in .308, I hate the feel of the accustock so i swapped it for a choate ultimate varmint I love the way it feels and first time at the range with crap scope mounts/rings and not even measuring the torque on the action screws it still shot a sub MOA 5 shot group at 100 yards with gold medal match 168g. I am wondering if i should bed the stock at all, its a V block style bed i have searched a ton and half say do it and half say the v block eliminates the need to bed. I just want to hear your opinions on this. Id like to get this shooting 1/2 moa, I am going to install a heavy duty recoil lug soon so id like to hear what u have to say. skim coat the V, just do the recoil lug or leav it alone.

hank440
04-30-2010, 09:08 PM
recoil lug is fine

dcloco
04-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Bed it. From the local swat sniper Remingtons wearing HS Precision stocks, Savage/Stevens with Choates, or the Rem 700 in 300 Win Mag with HS stock....they ALL benefitted from bedding the stocks. Provides for a repeatable, stable platform.

Uncle Jack
04-30-2010, 11:26 PM
You can either bed it or, just shoot it. After 100 rounds or so, the recoil lug and the aluminum bedding of the stock should start to become friends.

I'm not sure how long any bedding material would last between the steel recoil lug and the aluminum bed. But, it probably couldn't hurt.

uj

InfoSecDM
05-01-2010, 03:04 PM
I have never bedded a stock before do i just skim the v's with compound and between the recoil lug and block