PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Model 12 LRP action DBM & metal?

choclabs
01-14-2015, 01:43 PM
My goal is to build an accurate target/hunting rifle combination and believe that this is the only target action that savage makes with a DBM option.

I am seeking information on where I can buy a Model 12 action that is the same one used in the Model 12 LRP? Specific ordering model#?
Also would it be wise to use the Savage DBM and bottom metal or after market products?
If I go this route will I be limited in options for stocks that can be used?

I currently own a Model 10 Predator Hunter in .243 WIN and love the Savage accuracy. This will be my first bolt action build, and I am less than informed about whether this action is available for sale as a standalone component. It is my preference to use a custom 6.5 Creedmoor barrel rather than the factory barrel, a different stock, and different trigger.

Thanks in advance,
MW

Robinhood
01-17-2015, 11:13 AM
I have never seen one for sale as a kit like the target actions. You might be stuck having to buy the LRP. No worries. The barrel and stock are quality resellable units.

LoneWolf
01-17-2015, 12:02 PM
I've seen them on gunbroker as low as $700 a few times. Have to keep your eye out for them though.

choclabs
01-17-2015, 04:27 PM
Thank you Sir,

I am looking there and on this forum. But I believe that the Model 12 LRP target action with the DBM is a low volume unit for Savage as it is the only repeater configuration with the beefed up target receiver. I may be wrong but all of the other target actions are single shot. And the Varminter Model 12 series are not the beefed up target receiver.

sharpshooter
01-17-2015, 10:55 PM
The "beefed up" receiver has no accuracy advantage, the only benefit is a large shank barrel, and that is only if you need it.

choclabs
01-18-2015, 12:03 AM
Appreciate the insight. I guess the most unique thing about this specific target action is that it appears to be the only means of getting a no SS version of the factory Model 12 target action with a DBM. Most people in the know tell me the only way to get a Model 12 w/DBM is to buy the LRP and sell what I do not want? And thank you for informing me that this particular action comes with a long shank. More for me to learn about.

I still ask....is it possible to get a bare action and the proper bottom metal plus DBM?

LoneWolf
01-18-2015, 12:04 AM
Maybe if you order directly through Savage

jerry shaw
01-18-2015, 12:02 PM
Hi Choclabs
I'm very strongly looking at the LRP in .260 right now. The blued/stainless issue is unimportant to me. What intrigues me is the capability to get the target receiver/trigger combination already set up with a .260 barrel and a decent stock. I built a .260 on a model 12 receiver with a Shilen bull barrel last year and had really great results. It seems that if I can get one mostly right out of the box, then it will save a lot of time and effort.

You can get the receiver by itself (in stainless). I found one at Bud's. In fact, I was looking for one when I saw the 12LRP in .260. The receiver by itself is around $550. I figure that by the time I drop another 350-400 for barrel/nut, etc and add on a decent stock and hardware (easily another 5-600), I will be quite a bit past the cost of the LRP. You're always gambling on a barrel. I have had uniformly good luck with Shilens, but then I've had uniformly good luck with factory Savage LRPV barrels and Savage Palma barrels.

I plan to pick up the LRP in the next week. My guess is that it will be the right answer at a reasonable price. I've done enough builds that I'm not all that excited to do another one for the sake of building a rifle.

As always, your mileage may vary and good luck.

JS

aqua9945
01-23-2015, 08:50 PM
I have purchased two savage LRPs new from savage in the last 4 years, both in 260 remington. Both have been converted to other calibers, and i was very quickly able to sell the stocks and barrels online to recoup cost. They now have choate tactical stocks and aftermarket barrels and produce very good f class scores at the range. The magazines have been replaced by single shot slides. One is now 260 AI, and the other is 284 winchester. Naturally the magazines i do have would not work with the latter but thats not a problem, as its only used at the range. More magazines the correct size can be purchased direct from savage. The stocks are excellent but a little bit heavy for walking around... for that a boyds stock would be a good option, then just switch it as requires. On one rifle i have replaced the accutrigger with the rifle basix 2 , on the other the accutrigger is fine....

Newsshooter
02-01-2015, 10:52 PM
I don't think you can get the LRP actions by themselves. I did recently pick up a used one. Jim at Northland Supply has the stainless action but they aren't the LRP action with the closed top. You can buy an LRP in .243 if that is you preferred caliber. Sell the parts you want to change or keep it as is, it will shoot well. I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor, it will shoot 1/2 moa if I do my part. Had a 1.5 inch group at 1K but that was more luck than skill. :)