PDA

View Full Version : 375 H&H build helpp and ??s

camoman83
04-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Ok I am going to try to build a 375 hh for a friend of mine the action i have is a stainless 116 that was a 338 win mag what all am i going to need to change or will this action even work??? I now i will need the change the barrel but i do not know about the mag box or anything like that.
Matt

Fjold
04-30-2010, 01:40 PM
The action cuts for the magazine and the ejection port are not long enough for a loaded 375 H&H round. You will also have to replace the complete magazine assembly.

You need to start with an action that was built for a RUM cartridge or be prepared to do some machining.

Hammer
04-30-2010, 01:47 PM

Using an old long action 223, SharpShooter built me a 375 H&H.

Think he had to enlarge the magazine cut open and get a RUM magazine.

Actually think he built two for me -- one for the 375 H&H family and one for the long RUM case.

handirifle
04-30-2010, 02:11 PM
If money is an issue, and depending on ammo prefference, you might consider the 375 Ruger. It was made for the action length you have and will feed perfect with the 338WM mag and follower as well. Just a thought.

tammons
04-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Yep,

Build a 375 ruger or better yet a 416 ruger.

I had a 375 ruger barrel and like a moron I sold it.
Very nice round. I had it on a long control feed magnum action.

Only reason I would set up a 375 H+H is you would have
a better chance of finding ammo on the shelves in some locations.

I think Savage made some factory 375 H+H rifles.

Eric in NC
04-30-2010, 03:40 PM
I think Savage made some factory 375 H+H rifles.

Yep -

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd314/erbeckerdite/3752.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd314/erbeckerdite/2.jpg

Hammer
04-30-2010, 05:32 PM

Do have one left-hand 375 H&H from the Savage Custom Shop.

Came with two complete bolt assemblies -- one for push-feed and one for controlled-feed.

Have never had a feeding or extraction problem with either.

For a 375 H&H, it is a featherweight.

tammons
04-30-2010, 06:19 PM
I can probably guess the answer, but what is your friend going to hunt that a 338 win mag wont work on.

Hammer
04-30-2010, 06:25 PM

Though I have stopped wildebeest with 7 x 57, 280 Rem, 308 Win, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H...

The only wildebeest I ever saw escape was one shot with a 338 caliber 250-grain Nosler from a 338 Win Mag. It was hit in the hip and left no blood trail to follow. The medical doctor who shot it then spent the rest of his hunt looking for this wounded wildebeest and being in an unhappy disposition. The wounded wildebeest was ultimately stopped by another hunter using a 7 x 57 with 175-grain solids which produced complete penetration and an instant stop.

ellobo
04-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Hoorah for the old 7x57. If anything, that story proves that the right bullet and proper placement are more important than size and velocity in a most cases. Unless you are hunting game at hellacious distances or if you are looking down the barrel at teeth and claws the old standard calibers will probably work best. The one gun shooter will be best served by the old .30.06, ammo wont break the bank and can be found in every gun shop. It will take down everything on this continent and most others, except the very large bears.
My 2 cents worth.

El Lobo

tammons
04-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Well a wildebeest or any tough animal shot in the A$$ is iffy even with a 458 win mag.
I would not want to shoot a Cape Buffalo in the A$$ with anything and hang around to see what happens.
Maybe a 4 bore would put him down for a short while if he's gonna shoot him in the @$$ cheek.
I would bet if you shot a 400# boar hog in the A$$ with with a 338 win mag he would still run you up a tree.

I was just curious as to the use of the rifle.

I had a 375 ruger and it was a very nice cartridge.
Full house loads with 275 gr TSX bullets were no big deal.

If I ever go on a hunting trip to Africa or AK I would probably take a 416 Ruger. My Daughter and
husband were going to Tanzania for missionary work for about 5 years, so I thought
I might have an easy in and I could stay a while, but it fell through.

Got into a long discussion with a relative one day about Karamojo (SP?) Bell and how he hunted elephants with 7mm mausers and whatnot
and he thought my Hog rifle was too mucho caliber for the job.

I told him when you get ready to face down an Elephant, you take your 7mm mauser and you can stand in front
I will back you up with a 500 something or other. That said hunting an elephant is not on my bucket list. Other African game yes.

pphreed
04-30-2010, 07:49 PM
order a 375 h&h mag box from savage then open up the bottom of the action to fit the mag boxx should be plenty of room at the rear of the mag box It has been only a couple years since they dropped the 375 from there web site

Eric in NC
04-30-2010, 08:39 PM
I can probably guess the answer, but what is your friend going to hunt that a 338 win mag wont work on.

The 338 is ok for medium range PDs but you are rolling the dice on ground hogs and if you value your life don't even think about facing down a she-possum protecting her trash can with anything less than a 375 H&H with 300 grain solids.

camoman83
04-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Well he is going to Africa and he just wants a 375HH so i told him i would see what I could do
Matt

tammons
04-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Sounds like a good idea.
Not a 375 H+H, but I found the 375 ruger with 275 gr TSX
full house loads very easy to handle. A bit rough at the range shooting of a bench, but not bad with a good stock
and a past pad.

I originally added some weight to my Duromax stock, but quickly remove it when I realize it was not that harsh.

I had no problems ripping off 3 quick consecutive shots while hunting. Also a duromax stock made a big difference
in the apparent recoil of my rifle. A bit heavy but very nice.

Also the 416 Taylor might be an option and no mods to the rifle since it is based on 458 win mag brass.