PDA

View Full Version : shilen contour

Doon
01-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Hello from NZ, just brought my first savage 16 fhlss in 7-08 and plan to re-barrel to 6.5 grendel.
Just wondering what contour shilen select match barrel would be appropriate?
Have seen one here in NZ with a 3 and 4 contour, BUT NOT SURE.
Great forum:hail:

Marine24
01-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Doon. Welcome to the forum. Nice rifle and both are great calibers.

What is the intended purpose? Their number 3 contour would make for a good walking rifle, particularly if you cut it down to 20".

I don't have any experience with the Grendel but am a big fan of the 260 Rem as a long range caliber. I have Shilen's 24" number 5 contour on my long range rifle. It isn't light, but does what it needs to do from the bench at 1000 yards.

Doon
01-16-2015, 04:37 PM
Thanks Marine24, It will be a walking rifle for shots up to 400 meters , also for my 11 year old son to learn with.
It will be cut to 20".

Marine24
01-16-2015, 04:43 PM
Sounds like he is going to have a very nice rifle. Friend had a Grendel on the AR platform that he used for feral hogs in Oklahoma. He always seemed to have a lot of bacon at the house, so it served him well.

Why the caliber change out of curiosity? I'm also a big 7mm-08 fan and it is my standard hunting caliber for anything from antelope to elk. Some range ballistics and killing power is on par if not better than the 6.5mm caliber and just as soft a shooter as my 260 Rem

Doon
01-16-2015, 05:50 PM
I have a 270 and 25-06 so want to try the 6.5 Grendel, Will build another one if it turns out ok for my other son.
The performance will be very good with next to no recoil once we put a suppressor on it.
I only brought the lefty 7-08 as it was on sale as a donor rifle.
I have to change the bolt head to ppc and change the mag follower, mag box and barrel.
Hopefully rifle manufacturers start producing Grendels before I have to build the second one.