PDA

View Full Version : MOA groups out of my savage axis?

Pages : 1 [2]

Berger.Fan222
01-16-2015, 02:55 PM
I've gotten great accuracy out of a number of inexpensive rifle over the years.

The key is to focus on the bullet. Match bullets are best, followed by ballistic tips.

Getting MOA from factory ammo in a cheap rifle is a bigger challenge, especially in .270 where there are not many match bullets available.

With a match bullet or ballistic tip in a hand load, usually tweaking the powder charge in 1 grain increments will produce an MOA load.

If it doesn't, take the most accurate powder charge and tweak the OAL in 0.050" increments.

japollner
01-27-2015, 12:42 AM
Geez, back in the 70's & 80's finding a rifle to shoot an inch was really good, even for a custom built rifle. 1.5" to 1.75 " was a pretty normal good shooter for a store bought rifle, any make. Lots of coyotes even prairie dogs were shot at 400 to 600 with rifles like that. All the new very inexpensive rifles with the Axis being one of the best shoot better than an inch now. A 788 was a shooter in those days but they were an inch gun, on a good day .75. These are the good times for really great shooting rifles for low $!

That was before the internet where everyone is a scout sniper and can shoot 3 inch groups at 500yds with a Mosin Nagant...

jasta
02-02-2015, 01:53 AM
Ridgerunner7 if I may suggest working on your trigger, if you haven't, as a lite clean breaking trigger will reduce groups. If you are shooting off sandbags you are going to have interference from the barrel touching the stock, as this is well known by all Axis owners. Changing the stock with a Boyds will help. ..
Cheers

GaCop
02-06-2015, 09:41 AM
I know you're only looking for advice on factory ammo, but 'm gonna say it anyhow. :)

All of my Savages shoot at or better than .5 inches at 100 yards with hand loads. I have never tried any factory ammo in any of them, but, honestly, it's hard for me to not recommend you try getting started in hand loading. It's a lot of fun and very addictive. :)

Maybe others here can suggest good factory ammunition.

Good luck with it. +1, hand loads are the way to go.

Topsail
02-11-2015, 03:18 AM
I could not get acceptable accuracy in my 270 with any 130 ammo, factory or hand loaded. Found some Federal 150 gr round nose real cheap, so tried those. Easily 1" for 5 shots at 100 yds. Killed my cow elk with it. Went back and bought as much as I could.