PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: B-Mag Barrel Upgrade?

Down_Wind_Charlie
01-12-2015, 03:26 PM
New to the site. I have many Savage firearms.

Does anyone know how to get the barrel upgrade for the B-mag? I'm assuming I have to call them and talk to them about it. Was it a promotional deal or does anyone have any more info on it? I was never contacted or heard anything until I was doing a google search and found this forum. Any and all info would be great.

hd833
01-13-2015, 10:05 AM
If ur talking about the upgrade to 1:8 twist call cust serv and tell them it's inaccurate and you want a replacement.

MoToad
01-13-2015, 11:18 AM
That is if u don't mind putting the rifle aside for six months.:p

Lonewulf
01-13-2015, 09:58 PM
YEP took 6 months to get mine back, june 2nd to dec 30th :( now I don't know if they are only making the 1:8 twist for the SS HB :) any body else ask them yet?

Lonewulf
01-14-2015, 02:20 AM
I see Savage lists the B-Mag sporter on the site still and below it there is a tab to click that shows a B-mag with a SKU of 96972 but no specs
My replacement SS HB B-mag with the 1:8 twist says 96920 on the end of the box?

sent Cynthia a Savage a e-mail to find out any info

hd833
01-16-2015, 12:45 AM
I see Savage lists the B-Mag sporter on the site still and below it there is a tab to click that shows a B-mag with a SKU of 96972 but no specs
My replacement SS HB B-mag with the 1:8 twist says 96920 on the end of the box?

sent Cynthia a Savage a e-mail to find out any info

My skinny barrel replacement is 1:8 and yesterday I was shooting clover leafs @ 50 yds. Now I'm waiting for my replacement hbss. I was shooting 25 grainers the 20 grain are all over the target. It took about 4 weeks to get my replacement and so far it's been that long since I sent back the hbss.

Lonewulf
01-16-2015, 12:55 AM
I sent Cynthia a e-mail to get it right on what rifle is right with SKU numbers I have seen and now answer yet

Lonewulf
01-17-2015, 08:47 AM
The 96901 is the original BMag with the sporter barrel. It started with a 1 in 9", it is now being made with a 1 in 8" twist.
The 96915 is the heavy stainless barrel in a 1 in 8 twist
The 96920 is the heavy stainless but is labeled for Cabelas, so it has a different number.
The 96972 is the new heavy stainless barrel but has the thumbhole stock with a 1 in 8" twist.
Note all new rifles have the 1:8 twist

gsperaz
01-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Interesting info since the reports for the 1:8 twist guns dont to seem to like the 20gr ammo. Which has been the gounds for the marketing hype "fastest rimfire",
My 1:8 Fluted HB groups the 20s at over 3" @ 100yds, while the 25s are well under an inch. From my experience the 1:9 twist guns are the better choice for both types of ammo.
Its just a matter of barrel quality & desgn. A HB B.mag with good rifling will shoot either ammo to 1.5" Savage spec. Ammo quality is also improving and available so I expect to see more twist comparisons in the near future. The B.MAG saga continues..........
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571306

Hawg Killer
02-17-2015, 08:41 AM
http://www.savageshooters.com/images/icons/icon14.png
:cool: I am thinking along the lines of a couple others about the complaints of the 17WSM stainless Bull Barrel.
I really do not have any complaints. For the $'s spent for this rifle I am quite happy, I think some people lose track of what they are getting for $'s spent. I am having only 1 minor issue with mine and that is the mag itself has a tendency to not lock in place without just a little help from my finger nail. So the locking tab needs just a lil persuasion and it stays in place. Called Savage and discussed the opportunity for improvement with them. They are graciously taking care of me.

Other than that this is one awesome critter rifle.
I just purchased this a month ago after reading all the specs between this and the 17 HMR which I just sold to a friend of mine who had been bustin my chops that he wanted it.
Nothing wrong with the Savage 17HMR with sweet 17 scope on it.
I just fired 50 rounds through it this past weekend playing around with it. 20 grain Winchester rounds. Very impressive. I have a Bushnell scope on it and my 100yd pattern is right where it needs to be,
I am now ready to go try it out this weekend on some HOG hunting.

BTW, I have several Savage weapons and had an issue with an earlier rifle. Called Savage and discussed the issue, was well taken care of.
I think some problems may arise out of lack of understanding, or maybe expectations? or just not communicating effectively and courteously.
No I am not a SAVAGE employee.
Happy HAWG Hunting dudes.:cool: