PDA

View Full Version : Long-Range Rig Stock ?

jrhammo08sxt
01-12-2015, 09:26 AM
I have a question regarding a long-range stock for a .338 Edge with a 30" barrel.

I am torn between two stocks:

Savage 110 BA black stock with 10-round mag for .300 win mag. (I would be able to swap the barreled action and use the stock for both my .338 Edge and my .300 WM)

Choate Tactical Series without adjustable cheek piece. http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/25-06-14

How much better is the 110BA stock?
What would each be worth? (Savage stock is advertised for $750 and I have a hard time justifying that on a factory stock from Savage. Choate is right around $220)

My Edge would start out as a single shot, but I wouldn't have the option to swap stocks with the high-capacity mag for the 300 WM. Also, I like the modular style of the 110 BA stock. Love my AR-10, would love to have that same platform for a long-range rig. If I could pick up the BA stock for around $600...maybe it could be justifiable. Of course, if I am spending that type of money on a rifle stock/"Chassis" (as some would say), should I step it up to an adjustable Manners from Stocky's?

All opinion/advice welcome.

Thanks!

FW Conch
01-12-2015, 12:40 PM
JMHO :-)) ... For me, because of the huge difference in cost, it is a "no brainer" to start with the Choate. The only disadvantage I can I can think of with the Choate is weight, and with a 30" barrel, that needs to be accepted.

I would have no problem with single shot because, with a 338 Edge, I would not be in a big hurry to subject myself to the abuse that it dishes out. Just Sayin :-))

You can always upgrade if you feel the need, and I think it would be easy to recover most of the cost of the Choate.

Good Luck ... Jim

Tarheelpwr
01-13-2015, 05:12 PM
There's a Choate LA tactical on ebay right now still reasonably priced. Also, I'm pretty sure CDI DBM uses the same bottom metal for 300 win and 338 lapua. If you're still open, take a look at 338 RUM. You can use the CDI bottom metal or both. You'll lose minimal velocity limiting yourself to a 3.75 COAL. The difference between 338 Edge/Lapua/RUM is HIGHLY overstated. Do some searches. There are a couple of smiths over on LRH that built all of them extensively. They came to the conclusion that most of the gains from one to the other were more due to barrel variance than cartridges. 338 RUM just seems to be the logical choice. But then again, when looking at high performance 338's, there's not much logical about it :)

You'll likely see a marginal increase with the Edge out of a 30" tube, but for me, it just did not seem worth the extra effort to run the edge. Or, the added cost to get formed 338 edge brass.

On the choate, you can get a Karsten cheek rest and use the spacer they provide to adjust LOP and comb height.

D.ID
01-14-2015, 05:05 AM
I have three 338 edge single shot rifles in choate stocks..........only way to go.
With a choate stock and a Ross brake.........they are a joy to shoot, no punishment involved. My wife shoots one and she feels a 270 win has way to much recoil.
338 edge does not need fire formed, just neck up 300 ultra brass and your done, 300 rum brass is usually easier to find than 338 rum.
"You'll likely see a marginal increase with the Edge out of a 30" tube"......or any other barrel length= More powder is...... well.....more.
The logic behind the big 338s..........75% of a 50 cal ballistics from a regular sized rifle that costs 15% of what a 50 costs to shoot and is easier to make shoot accurately.

Tarheelpwr
01-14-2015, 08:33 AM
I have three 338 edge single shot rifles in choate stocks..........only way to go.
With a choate stock and a Ross brake.........they are a joy to shoot, no punishment involved. My wife shoots one and she feels a 270 win has way to much recoil.
338 edge does not need fire formed, just neck up 300 ultra brass and your done, 300 rum brass is usually easier to find than 338 rum.
"You'll likely see a marginal increase with the Edge out of a 30" tube"......or any other barrel length= More powder is...... well.....more.
The logic behind the big 338s..........75% of a 50 cal ballistics from a regular sized rifle that costs 15% of what a 50 costs to shoot and is easier to make shoot accurately.

Not saying edge is a bad way to go. Just throwing out options since I got the feeling he was looking for a repeater. Just pointing out that an edge does not have the speed advantage that some will have you believe (200+ fps).

Edge will get a fps boost in a 30" tube. How much is debatable. Then the question that came into play for me was what difference does 100 fps make? They end up with basically the same effective range. Neither get you to same class as the 338 Improved.

That's the beauty of shooting today. Sooo many options

jrhammo08sxt
01-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Hey guys, this is what I was able to get:
custom 31" 338 edge barrel with helical brake
Savage 110 BA stock (new) with rail, hardware, 10 round mag ($500!!)

So, it looks like I will be using this in my build. While the Choate was pretty tempting, it was hard to pass up a full "tactical chassis" system like the 110BA. Especially for the price. I did have a 338 Lapua that I had in a bedded Boyds "tacticool", which is the same basic shape as a Choate. Didn't really think it was all that great. I have also shot rifles in an AI stock, and a 110 BA is 300 WM. My favorite stock was the AI, but those are a $1000 system. To me, the Savage BA stock comes close. So, that is what I went with. Besides, if I want a repeater, I can seat the Edge a touch deeper?? May not get the full effect or benefits of the round. Or, just swap out the 300 WM I have in an accustock, but that is my main hunting rig. The goal of this build was to go full "Long-Range Coyote/Target gun" mainly targets, and I don't plan on carting this one through the hills and woods...maybe if I had a horse-drawn trailer. Anyway, I may get lots of criticism for not going with a "better" stock, but I think I will like this rig just fine. I will make sure to post pics when I get it put together!!

Tarheel, reloading for the 338 edge is pretty simple...I already have a 300 ultra and about 60 pieces of once-fired brass. All you do to load for the Edge is size a 300 Ultra case with an Edge sizer die...normal amounts of case lube, clean and load! Not really any more case prep than for any of my other rifles.

Tarheelpwr
01-14-2015, 10:12 AM
Hey guys, this is what I was able to get:
custom 31" 338 edge barrel with helical brake
Savage 110 BA stock (new) with rail, hardware, 10 round mag ($500!!)

So, it looks like I will be using this in my build. While the Choate was pretty tempting, it was hard to pass up a full "tactical chassis" system like the 110BA. Especially for the price. I did have a 338 Lapua that I had in a bedded Boyds "tacticool", which is the same basic shape as a Choate. Didn't really think it was all that great. I have also shot rifles in an AI stock, and a 110 BA is 300 WM. My favorite stock was the AI, but those are a $1000 system. To me, the Savage BA stock comes close. So, that is what I went with. Besides, if I want a repeater, I can seat the Edge a touch deeper?? May not get the full effect or benefits of the round. Or, just swap out the 300 WM I have in an accustock, but that is my main hunting rig. The goal of this build was to go full "Long-Range Coyote/Target gun" mainly targets, and I don't plan on carting this one through the hills and woods...maybe if I had a horse-drawn trailer. Anyway, I may get lots of criticism for not going with a "better" stock, but I think I will like this rig just fine. I will make sure to post pics when I get it put together!!

Tarheel, reloading for the 338 edge is pretty simple...I already have a 300 ultra and about 60 pieces of once-fired brass. All you do to load for the Edge is size a 300 Ultra case with an Edge sizer die...normal amounts of case lube, clean and load! Not really any more case prep than for any of my other rifles.

Yeah, it's not a huge deal, but when I was looking, I was looking for a repeater. When you limit COAL, the edge lost it's appeal, esp when it took an extra step to load. If you like a single shot, I think I would go with an Edge as well. I should have been more clear with my response. I read too much into you wanting a repeater.

I wouldn't worry about not getting a better stock. It's your rig and as long as it fits you, that's all that matters. I go down that road with every build. I was set on a Manners for my 280AI, but I stumbled across a Stockade Woodchuck for ~$125. You'll not convince me that there's $400+ difference in the stocks. I also have a choate tactical on my 308. I chose it over a McMillian. To me, the choate fit better. I liked the thick grip. It is a bench gun, so I was not worried about the weight. I'm not in any way saying that stockade and Choate are better than the big M's, but for the money, you get much more value, esp if you pick up a used one with extras. I look at it like this. For the $1000 or so I saved on the 2 stocks, that's another quality (not top of the line) rifle. I think you'll find the same with the 110 BA vs the AI. It is not on the same level, but for half the price, you get much more than half the stock. YMMV

jrhammo08sxt
01-14-2015, 10:36 AM
Yeah, it's not a huge deal, but when I was looking, I was looking for a repeater. When you limit COAL, the edge lost it's appeal, esp when it took an extra step to load. If you like a single shot, I think I would go with an Edge as well. I should have been more clear with my response. I read too much into you wanting a repeater.

I wouldn't worry about not getting a better stock. It's your rig and as long as it fits you, that's all that matters. I go down that road with every build. I was set on a Manners for my 280AI, but I stumbled across a Stockade Woodchuck for ~$125. You'll not convince me that there's $400+ difference in the stocks. I also have a choate tactical on my 308. I chose it over a McMillian. To me, the choate fit better. I liked the thick grip. It is a bench gun, so I was not worried about the weight. I'm not in any way saying that stockade and Choate are better than the big M's, but for the money, you get much more value, esp if you pick up a used one with extras. I look at it like this. For the $1000 or so I saved on the 2 stocks, that's another quality (not top of the line) rifle. I think you'll find the same with the 110 BA vs the AI. It is not on the same level, but for half the price, you get much more than half the stock. YMMV
:amen: All about what suits the shooter! Hey, If I don't like it, I can always sell it!

jrhammo08sxt
01-20-2015, 06:12 PM
Still needs the bolt handle I have ordered for it and headspaced...but, there it is.
X-Caliber 31" Match Barrel with brake from Apache Gunworks
110 BA Stock w/5-round mag. 3.850 OAL Defensive Edge puts the 300 Grain SMK @ 3.795...
Redfield Battlezone 6-18 Scope.
Everything is brand new...even the action.http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o634/jrhammo08sxt/Guns/641E3E29-03D4-46D3-A92D-752BB3C4F8A2.jpg (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/jrhammo08sxt/media/Guns/641E3E29-03D4-46D3-A92D-752BB3C4F8A2.jpg.html)