PDA

View Full Version : Bolt not cocking on opening of bolt

Tanroberts
01-11-2015, 11:48 PM
I have a model 10p and at the range today it shot flawlessly for about 20 rounds. I just put an aftermarket stock on it was and was resighting it in. The trigger hung (would not release) after firing a round. The bolt release also hung when I removed the bolt. Both released after I backed the action screw off to 25 inch/Ibs. That fixed both issues, but now the bolt only cocks (and stays cocked) after I open the bolt and run the lugs to the back of the chamber. Any ideas on what is going on? The stock is a Boyds and was free floated and glass bedded by a gunsmith. I took it off to clean off some bedding compound off the wood.

jpdown
01-11-2015, 11:54 PM
Check the stock above the front trigger screw. Sounds like it is contacting/pushing up on trigger arm and tripping the sear when you tighten the rear action screw and cycle the bolt. Dremel off some wood so you have clearance and the stock does not contact the trigger/sear arm.

olddav
01-11-2015, 11:56 PM
My guess is there is a clearance issue with the stock and trigger/sear.

Yea what he said ^^^^^^

Tanroberts
01-12-2015, 12:38 AM
Yep but worse. The back action screw did not have a metal pillar installed so at some point was overtightened and cracked the wood. My guess was that as I tightened, the crack widened causing the contact. Was a pretty stock too. :(

DrThunder88
01-12-2015, 12:51 AM
If your bolt release was also giving you trouble, I'd look for interference between the bolt release extension of the sear and the stock. When I was fitting a Boyds stock to my Model 11, I had to relieve the interior a bit where it interacted with the bolt release slider on the trigger guard.

olddav
01-12-2015, 01:44 AM
It's fairly easy to fix a cracked stock, just need a couple of clamps and some "Acraglass" (original). After that you can install pillars if you so desire.

Tanroberts
01-12-2015, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I will give that a try.