PDA

View Full Version : axis with short chamber???

jesse_l_b
01-11-2015, 08:37 PM
Hi guys just a question. I decided to play with the seating depth on my handloads, figured i would see where the lands start and seat to a couple thousands of an inch off that. So i used my seating die and seated long, then went back and forth between the gun and die. Using a bullet with NO primer or powder. I ended up at 2.23, the books all say 2.26 is the oal fpr a 223 round, so i thought i messed up and did it again. Same 2.23 oal. So i made another dummy round seated at my normal 2.26 and chambered it. When i ejected ot it also measured at 2.23. So what do i do now? Leave it the same as before at 2.26 and let it do what it has been doing or seat to just under 2.23? Also is there any safety concerns with my chamber being a little short? Thanks guys

DrThunder88
01-11-2015, 11:35 PM
Different bullets will have different ogives, so the OAL may differ slightly even when rounds are loaded to the same length respective to the lands. Still, it seems like it would take a stumpy bullet to go under what I presume is the OAL for a basic 55gr FMJ load.