PDA

View Full Version : Scope problems

kurt.reeder88
01-11-2015, 12:27 AM
Hello all, I'm new around here and having a scope dilemma. I'm currently trying to outfit a savage fcp-k 308 with some new glass. I'm cureently running a 4-12 Nikon bdc and want a budget scope ($200) for bench work out to 500 yards. I'll mostly be punching paper but will also ring some steel. I have it narrowed now to a mueller 8.5-25x44 mil dot $169 dollars and amazing reviews but I can't find any info on return to zero or tracking in general. Then there's the bushnell elite 3200 10x mildot $200 right now on midway. Which will better suite my need? Please help I've been battling with myself for 3 days.

foxx
01-11-2015, 12:36 AM
midway's description of the Mueller APV says it does not have return to zero and 1/4moa turrets is that the one?
here: http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/2639119797/mueller-apv-rifle-scope-45-14x-40mm-adjustable-objective-apv-reticle?cm_vc=ProductFinding&cm_mmc=ps_bing-_-bing-_-OP_Scopes_12x_and_Greater_Beta_B-_-mueller+scopes

Twinsen
01-11-2015, 06:13 AM
1. SWFA SS 10x42
2. The Bushnell 10x

kurt.reeder88
01-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Yes that's the one but what exactly is return to zero? I was under the impression it is in relation to turret tracking. Example adjust up 3.5 moa then back down 3.5 moa and the scope would be back at zero.

kurt.reeder88
01-11-2015, 11:52 AM
Sorry actually it's not the scope. It's the mueller 8.5-25x44 not the one that you linked.

foxx
01-11-2015, 01:07 PM
I think "return to Zero" is one of 3 things:
1. "Zero Stop" a mechanical thingy that allows you to blindly and quickly turn the turrets till they stop at a pre-designated setting
2. a way to mark the turrets for your zero
3. positive tracking

I don't think these have any of the above.

If you can get to the $300 level, the SWFA is better. Primary arms makes a pretty good variable with FFP for about $250, and Midway has an exclusive tactical weaver. I pretty much stick with these three options anymore b/c of price, features and quality.

JMHO, of course.

kurt.reeder88
01-11-2015, 01:11 PM
On a side note does anyone know how to upload pictures via iphone6? I can't seem to figure it out. I was going to post in range report section but can't find out how to access camera roll.

yobuck
01-11-2015, 05:37 PM
Id be buying the bushnell 10x over the Muller. Ive owned the Bushnell for 6 or 7 years and its a pretty decent scope.
I only use it on a 223 however which sees use only for prairie dogs. And if at all possible i refrain from dialing it for that purpose.
I simply use the milldots for shots out to roughly 3/350 yds. If it were being dialed more my opinion probably wouldnt change much.

D.ID
01-11-2015, 10:10 PM
I really like the 10x40 bushnell. Put mine threw hell and they keep on trucking and tracking. Nicest turret design in the low end as well. I have put many miles on those dials some of which on big 338s.
Then again the SWFA is just too close in price to pass up, 30mm tube, Parallax adjustable, Zero-stop available, available in different magnifications, built in sun shade, even is available with a more advanced reticle.
Not saying anything bad about the mueler because I don't know but the SWFA is for sure and for certain the best budget scope for range work and worth the little bit more.
The mueler.....? The primary..?
The bushnell......is what it is, not bad.
The SWFA..........as capable as it could need to be. Little better glass than the bushnell and you can add the bells and whistles one piece at a time as desired. It's a bit more versatile. Versatile is good.