PDA

View Full Version : savage axis build

Remingtonman
01-10-2015, 11:34 AM
I just a bought a savage axis action with a .473 bolt face. my question is can this standard axis action be converted to a 300 saum with the proper parts? Can i get a 300 saum barrel with a small shank instead of the large shank that most come in?

DrThunder88
01-10-2015, 05:01 PM
The barrel would likely be available through a custom barrel maker. The bolt head is a bit more tricky since you'll need a short-action bolt head shank with a magnum bolt face, which is not very common unless you make your own. The major caveat will be bolt thrust, which will be higher for a magnum chambering anyway but seems to be increased for beltless magna for reason I don't really understand. Whether the Axis receiver undergoes the same heat treat for other centerfire rifles, I don't know. If the hardness is set only for standard chamberings, it might result in bolt lug setback. The Axis also lacks a third safety lug or engagement point like 1X/11X rifles. It's probably not a huge deal. Probably.

The worst part will be magazines. I know long-action magnum mags work in a long-action Axis stock, but I don't know about short-action magnum magazines (if they exist) or if existing hardware can be modified.

Rosco
01-10-2015, 06:06 PM
If I recall correctly Boots stated , in a another post, that a magnum bolt head and new firing pin would be required to have it work in the Axis. A standard recoil lug would be nice too.

bootsmcguire
01-10-2015, 09:10 PM
You would need a WSM magazine for a Centerfeed. A magnum bolt head, and unfortunately if I understand it right the Axis firing pins are not adjustable, so you will have to get a head from PT&G. It would be a bolt head with a Magnum Face, 1.000" shank, and .442" thick lugs.

However I am with Dr. Thunder in that the Axis receivers were never built for magnum rounds, so their ability to handle that much thrust against the lugs is an unknown variable to me. I would be will to guess that it will work fine, but even so I would still watch for signs of set back for awhile.

DrThunder88
01-11-2015, 02:06 AM
I would say to let my 300 Win Mag Axis (and the idiot pulling the trigger) be the guinea pig for this type of project, but my build is currently only missing a stock and there's no telling when or if the replacement will get here. I could try it in the factory stock, but A: whatever faith I have in Savage's steel does not necessarily translate to their plastic, and B: I'm really really really not looking forward to shooting a magnum that light.