PDA

View Full Version : some striker build help please

KURT L
01-10-2015, 01:39 AM
Hi all and thanks in advance.
the more I read the more I think I confuse myself.
Is this true or am I taking this the wrong way ?

#1 you can put a pistol stock on a savage rifle and shorten barrel
and shoot as a pistol as long as it stays above 26" in length ????

#2 that you can buy undesignated action and register as action/multi
caliber like on tc contender/encore pistols and use any length barrel
as it would be classed as pistol so it could be as short or as long as you want it.

do I have this correct ?

bootsmcguire
01-10-2015, 02:27 AM
Do your own checking, but.............

#1 Yes, I think it's 27" OAL and a minimum barrel length of 16". I am for sure on the barrel length. I would keep it over 16 1/2" just to be safe in case some agent's tape measure is a little short.

#2 Yes, as long as it is registered as a pistol. However all normal rules apply. So if you ever put a rifle type stock on it that has a shoulder attachment of some kind, then the barrel must be over 16" again, because you made it into a rifle by adding the stock. Also technically if you add the stock and barrel and convert to a rifle, you cannot change it back into a pistol. A pistol can be made into a rifle, but a rifle cannot be made into a pistol.

DO NOT TAKE ANYONE'S WORD FOR ANY ANSWERS TO YOUR 2 QUESTIONS. CHECK FOR YOURSELF. The BATFE website has all the regulations for such things posted. What we tell you doesn't matter, its what the regulations say. It's nobody's rear end on the line but yours.

Sorry to sound rude, but this question comes up fairly regular and I would much rather you check it out for sure for yourself rather than end up in a Federal Hotel.

KURT L
01-10-2015, 02:34 AM
thanks.bootsmcguire
I looked over the stuff on The BATFE have too look more.

Stockrex
01-10-2015, 01:11 PM
Don't forget state requirements if you choose to use an undesignated action.

Yes, check atf requirements, consult local ffl ,

Jamie
01-10-2015, 09:57 PM
1) VERY grey area. Depends on ATF person and/or judge you end up with. Yes 16"or longer barrel is required for a rifle as is a 26.5" overall. There is one part of the definition that leads it into a grey are. Part of the ATF definition for a rifle is "meant to be fired from the shoulder." Some people feel that the "pistol grip rifle" is allowed if the overall length is larger than stated earlier. How comfortable are you with that? I am not to fond taking chances that could make things bad for me. Even if you win the court battle you will a hundred thousand or more in the whole. Buy a Striker of undesignated action and have no worries.

2) NO!!! You will never register a bare action as a pistol. If your FFL checks the pistol block for a bare action they are committing a felony, even if it is an undesignated action. There are three boxes on the 4473; Handgun, Long Gun and Other Firearm. In parenthesis behind Other Firearm you will see examples of what they are talking about and Frame; Receiver is specifically listed. Checking any other box in that instance is a felony.

Goggle 4473 and read the entire form. There is a lot of good information in it.

Also, if you have say an Encore pistol. You can put a rifle barrel on it with the rifle stock and legally change it back to a pistol as it left the factory as a pistol. You are not changing what the firearm was originally designed to be. That was in a clarification letter by the ATF in July 2011 I think.

Spend the time on the ATF site and dig for answers. If you can't find them then contact the ATF technicians. These are the folks that actually interpret the rules and will tell you if you are good or not before you get into hot water. These are not your local agents.

KURT L
01-10-2015, 11:55 PM
at this point I am going with the undesignated action thanks Jamie