PDA

View Full Version : M-24 scope

Uncle Jack
04-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Is the military still deploying the M-24 7.62 Nato? If so, what scope/s are they using?

uj

jdub
04-29-2010, 05:16 PM
I know this don't answer your question completly but I stumbled across this after reading you post. It came off the Schmidt & Bender web site.

The United States Marine Corps is now using Schmidt & Bender scopes on all Scout Rifle Day Scopes for use on the Corps' sniper weapons. A modified version of the Schmidt & Bender 3-12 x 50 Police Marksman LP II scope is standard equipment on all .308 and .50 caliber USMC sniper rifles.

The Schmidt & Bender 3-12 x 50 PMII LP is replacing a 10x sniper scope which has been in use for the last 25 years. The Schmidt & Bender scope was selected from products submitted by 25 different companies as the only riflescope to meet or exceed all of the USMC’s rigorous specifications.

The Schmidt & Bender scope includes an elevation dial made to USMC specifications. Especially attractive to the Marine Corps is the fact that the 3-12 x 50 PMII LP can be used on both .308 and .50 caliber weapons, with changes only in windage and elevation dials.

While the modified USMC version of the 3-12 x 50 PMII LP is not available to the public, a similar model is available.

We are pleased and honored to serve one of the most elite, storied military organizations in the world.

JCalhoun
05-02-2010, 05:50 PM
The S&B are replacement for the Unertls on the USMC M-40's.

The Army's M-24 used to have Leupold scopes. Not sure what they use now.

tomme boy
05-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Issue or what they are actually using? Just because what is said to be used is not always what they are using. Post this over at Snipers hide and get some better responces.

Uncle Jack
05-02-2010, 10:08 PM
".....Post this over at Snipers hide and get some better responces."

Been there, thank you. I don't much care with the attitude served up with the information.

uj

helotaxi
05-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Yep, lot of optics snobs on that forum.

The military channel has a series called "Modern Sniper" and they talk about Army, Marine, Coast Guard and "Advanced Sniper" concept sniper teams. Of the scopes that I could identify on the Army rifles they were Leupolds, but for every one that I could ID there were 3-4 that I could not that were not Leupold.

Marines and Coast Guard used S&B. Coast Guard used EOTechs on their Barret .50s though.

Peter_Kirch
05-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Marines used to use USO MST10's but have since switched to S&B PM3's.
The Army Marksman Unit uses Leupold, depending on the year manufactured changes what model. They currently have deployed Leupold Ultra M3 10 x 40mm fixed power, Leupold Ultra M3A 10 x 40mm fixed power, or Leupold Mk.4 LR/T M3 10 x 40mm fixed power scope.
The Navy uses either a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 NXS scope or Leupold's on their MK12MODX SPR's. I'm not sure exactly where the Nightforce's are used but NF does have a Navy contract.

The reason you see some variation is the year produced changes as well as some of the "special" units can buy their own sights.

And also yes the army is still deploying the M24 but it is the M24A2 now for the 7.62. Includes DBM and other add-ons. The M24A3 is chambered for 338LM. They are currently phasing the 7.62 M24's out in favor of the M110 SASS.

-Peter

tomme boy
05-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Don't for get about the Unertl's. Thats what my cousin had on his rifle during Desert Storm as a SS in the MC. Said he was still using up till I think he said 2002 when he got out.

rossman40
05-04-2010, 12:02 AM
They are actually switching the current inventory of M24s over to 300WM. The Army just finished up the last contract ($12 million over 2 years) for the M24 from Remington this year. I do not see the M110 totally replacing the M24, the DoD just bought $50 million bucks worth of the 300WM ammo just to feed the upgraded M24s and the Navy's Mk.13 SWS and they have not "officially" bought any 338LMs. They were bringing M21s out of mothballs just to fill the need.

As far as scopes you were still seeing the old ARTs and B&Ls on the M21s back in 2000. It is just whoever has the contract that year and they don't surplus out sighting systems, it is a demil item, use them till the cannot be repaired anymore and then destroy. Lot of the S&Bs do not come from S&B, Premier Reticle actually had the contract and S&B was a sub-contractor. Much like the older Leupys, it was a Luepold scope but the military wanted Premier Reticle's reticle.

Peter_Kirch
05-04-2010, 12:25 AM
They are actually switching the current inventory of M24s over to 300WM. The Army just finished up the last contract ($12 million over 2 years) for the M24 from Remington this year. I do not see the M110 totally replacing the M24, the DoD just bought $50 million bucks worth of the 300WM ammo just to feed the upgraded M24s and the Navy's Mk.13 SWS and they have not "officially" bought any 338LMs. They were bringing M21s out of mothballs just to fill the need.

you're right i had my head up my a$$. It is 300WM not 338LM. The USMC had been testing the 338LM. I don't know how outdated my info is either.

rjtfroggy
05-04-2010, 11:56 AM
There are all kinds of info out there when it comes to what the military is using. Since the conflicts began the special forces teams be it Army,Navy Marines are buying what they feel works best for particular situations and the area they are covering. They have side stepped DoD and have done their own testing and buying with funds just for this purpose.Even some of the classified training is non approved but it is getting the job done in their field of operations.
A lot of the personnel even buy their own equipment and that goes for regular troops as well,just look at all the Trijicon and aimpoint stuff that is over there.

phirebug
05-04-2010, 12:03 PM
all of our M21's and M24's our last rotation were topped off with 10x Leopold Mark IV's. Hope that helps.