PDA

View Full Version : Is This an Old One?

GLShooter
01-09-2015, 06:55 PM
I bought a Model 12, blind magazine laminated stock, that was orginally a 22-250. They rechambered it to 22-250 AI. I want to change it to a PPC bolt head but the OLD bolt has a notch in the tail that corresponds to a little piece of metal hanging out inside the bolt body bore. You can see on the outside of the body where it was struck to make the protrusion. Is this unusual?

My new bolt does not have that notch cut out on it. Should I cut the new bolt for a notch? Could I take the raised metal out of the bolt body bore and not cause havoc with my original 22-250 bolt?

Also the spacing appaers to be right on 4.309 , nominal, from center of front screw to front screw on the trigger gaurd. The front to rear screw measures about 7.25" I am guessing this is a Short action?

Thanks for the assist guys.

Greg

jonbearman
01-09-2015, 07:16 PM
Grind it out. The new ones don't have it anymore.

GLShooter
01-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Grind it out. The new ones don't have it anymore.

Thats kind of what I thought. It seemed extraneous to me but then I'm new to the Savage format. I speak more AR and 700. Since I started dealing with Black Hole Savage barrels my wrench is getting used to barrel up new camberings and this is the first non-308 I was going to try

Greg

J.Baker
01-09-2015, 10:59 PM
That was basically there to ensure the monkeys at the factory didn't assemble the bolts with the bolt head out 180-degrees. They have better trained monkeys now, so no need for it on the new ones.

GLShooter
01-09-2015, 11:18 PM
That was basically there to ensure the monkeys at the factory didn't assemble the bolts with the bolt head out 180-degrees. They have better trained monkeys now, so no need for it on the new ones.

Now that's funny no matter who you are! !!

Unfortunately I might agree with you.

Greg