PDA

View Full Version : Savage 116 Tupperware stock - Can it be accurate?

TORCHRIDER
01-09-2015, 06:06 PM
I picked up a used Savage 116 flat back in 7mm Mag. The stock is a Savage plastic fantastic without any pillars. It doesn't seem to me that this can be a very accurate setup to just compress the plastic against the action. Is there anyway this setup can be accurate or should I be looking for a replacement? This is a hunting rifle, so .25" groups are not a requirement.

foxx
01-09-2015, 06:15 PM
In my opinion, if you only hunt with it out to 300 yards, and don't use a bipod, it should be fine the way it is. Bedding is more for wood stock to prevent various temp and humidity from changing things. Plastic does not do that. Pillars are pretty important, usually. Most important, I think, is bedding the recoil lug.

J.Baker
01-09-2015, 11:08 PM
That depends - how is it shooting as-is and are those groups satisfactory for your needs/intended use?

GaCop
01-10-2015, 08:54 AM
That depends - how is it shooting as-is and are those groups satisfactory for your needs/intended use? +1, give us an idea of the kind of accuracy your getting now. With a little bit of work, the flimsy forearm can be tightened up to eliminate it touching the barrel. I'd make sure the barrel is free floated in the barrel channel and that the tang is free floated. Glass bedding the action may/ may not improve things but it definitely won't hurt either.

wbm
01-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Savage 116 Tupperware stock-can it be accurate?

Yes.

the continuum
01-10-2015, 09:08 PM
I still have my tupperware stock on my 30-06 Model 116. I used the Dremel and sanded the forend to make sure the barrel was free-floating. I also decided to try my first bedding job, since the stock was so cheap. That way, if I ruined it, I wasn't too upset. It turned out decent. The bedding job doesn't look that great, but it really stiffened everything up, and the rifle shoots much better. I also used some more bedding compound (Devcon) and steel rods in the hollow areas of the forend to stiffen that up as well.

Overall, I'm glad I did it. I learned a ton, and I now have a deeper appreciation for really nice bedding jobs. (Now I know that I'd probably pay a professional gunsmith to do the bedding on a stock I paid a high price for.) Plus, I do think it improved the accuracy of my rifle. It's shootting 1 MOA with factory ammo.

-Seth

TORCHRIDER
01-11-2015, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the great feedback guys.