PDA

View Full Version : Help with choosing a donor action

YDKDY
01-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Hello! New here and starting my first Savage build. Planning for something in 6/6.5mm cal with a heavy barrel for punching paper and steel at 400+, and I’m on a budget. I’ve hit probably a dozen local pawn shops and have been watching the auction sites also, and what I’ve determined is SA’s are hard to come by and if you do find one its about $100 more than a LA. So long action it is. One of the best donor rifles I’ve found is a “Cabelas special” .270 with top bolt release, blind mag, accutrigger and a laminate stock in great shape for $300. Only thing is I think it may be centerfeed.

So how limited am I for target/tactical stocks with LA centerfeed vs an older LA staggerfeed ? (which I found for about $220). And I’d really like to keep the stock in the $200 or under range.

Is converting the centerfeed to staggerfeed easy?

I suppose another option is open up the channel in the existing stock, but ultimately I'd like a target vs sporter style.

Thanks!

foxx
01-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Welcome. centerfeed should not be an issue for you anymore. What stock are looking for that is not avail in centerfeed?
And, Long Action for 260 is ideal if you load from a mag and want longer bullets.
Also, do you have a link to this Cabela's special for $300?-- nevermind. I get it. that's a USED rifle. :) THought there was a new deal going I did not know about!

If you have enough epoxy, a dremel and a couple pillars you can convert dang near anything from center feed to stagger feed, as long as you go s/a to s/a and l/a to l/a.

BTW, that's a great price. I would jump on that in a heartbeat.

YDKDY
01-09-2015, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for something in a Boyd's stock for LA centerfeed in a target/tactical style but I'm not seeing anything that will handle a varmint barrel. I do have a dremel and not afraid to try to mod it to a staggerfeed. Looks like the Pro Varmint from Boyds might be an option then or others from Choate or Hogue in my price range. Others?

I think I'll jump on the 111 in .270. Its a nice rifle as-is. Almost a shame to break it apart, but I guess if I keep the stock and barrel I'll have a .270 too - sorta.

foxx
01-09-2015, 08:18 AM
Boyds ProVarmint "Long action, Center feed, Top bolt release, factory barrel" will work. You will only need to open the barrel channel. Much easier than trying to change c/f to s/f.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/43a21051g203_pro-varmint-savage-110-top-bolt-release-blind-mag-long-action-centerfeed-factory-barrel-channel-laminate-stock-w-black-textured-finish

Richards Microfit might have something, I am most familiar with Boyds. I like Boyd's b/c the are inexpensive and easy to work with.