PDA

View Full Version : customizing synthetic stocks? bad idea?

AustinCQC
04-29-2010, 03:12 AM
I picked up a 10fcp with choate stock today and might go back and get it. I'll be using the gun for bench shooting and hunting. I like the shooting hand placement, LOP, etc but That flat wide forend really didn't get my jollies going and would actually like it to be a bit thinner. Does anybody see a functional problem with me slimming it down? Has anybody done that? When i was holdin it, I could feel it bend in my hand as I squeezed it, so I'm sure it's not too tough to file down or shave off.

And maybe an even more important question might be, is there another stock that I should buy instead of ruining the choat?

CL1KKL4C
04-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Maybe take a look at one of the accustock savages. You may like the factory stock a little better. Choates are known for being a little "beefier" than most stocks and most people don't want to lug them around while hunting. Or theres always the Stevens rifles which are great deals and with a little work the stocks can be quite manageable.

Netz
05-01-2010, 04:54 PM
I had the same question, I like the B&C Medalist but can't stand the fore end, I was wondering what would happen if you were to shave off the flat square side area of the fore end and finish it off with some bondo.
I know most stocks are a foam core with glass shell, I just don't know if it would degrade is structural strength by removing so much of it's shell, I am aware that it has the aluminium skeleton inside.
Curt

CL1KKL4C
05-01-2010, 11:17 PM
The forend was actually the selling point for me with the B&C. I never shoot off hand only from a bipod, so I liked the "stance" it gave the rifle looked beefy. But theres actually some fellas that have modified the forend more to their liking as I believe you were suggesting. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=83331&Number=908759#Post908759

AustinCQC
05-02-2010, 02:48 AM
Sweet mother.....that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!