PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Sling Recommendations

TORCHRIDER
01-07-2015, 06:01 PM
I am looking for a good hunting sling for a Savage Hog Hunter in .308. I have heard good things about the below sling, but can't seem to find one at a decent (sub $50) price.

Slogan Outdoors UltraFlex Rifle Sling - www.sloganoutdoors.com

What are your recommendations?

Thanks!

mikein
01-07-2015, 07:02 PM
Hey, Torchrider, where in Central Texas are you from? I'm in Mason.

Rifle slings are like toothbrushes: a very personal choice. My suggestion to you is to go to BassProShop, Cabelas, a large Ace Hardware, even a nasty old WalMart and see what they have hanging up on their racks. Any of the name brand slings will serve you well and will hold up quite nicely for years. I have solid leather slings; leather slings with enlarged shoulder areas; nylon slings; nylon slings with really plush shoulder pad areas and all camo'ed up; and they've all worked for me over the years.

Inebriated
01-07-2015, 07:12 PM
I have a -GASP- Gander Mountain sling that was on sale. Padded portion towards the top, nylon everywhere else. Feels good, and happens to fit well enough to sling it on my back when I'm dragging a deer or have to get on all fours to get up bank or under some brush. On most other rifles, though, I use Magpul MS1's, and I'm going to pick up some swivels to use it with... It's $33, and a very well-made sling, so I want to make it work. But like mikein said, it's mostly preference..

Tony1776
01-07-2015, 08:23 PM
I looked at the website you listed and those appear to be good slings but I've never used one of theirs. Near my location we have Academy Sporting Goods, Wal-Mart, Dicks, Gander Mountain, and a Cabelas a little south of my location. Those stores all have slings and I'd try one of those out where you can actually go in and handle a sling. Good luck with that .308 Savage, it's a good caliber. I've got a .308 in an early 70's Belgium Browning BLR and have taken many hogs with it. Good look in your quest for a new sling.....

TORCHRIDER
01-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Thanks a bunch guys. I mostly use military type slings, but was wondering if there was anything else out there I should be considering. Thanks for the opinions. Mikein, I am a little north of Austin. Mason is a great area for deer. I will be mainly hunting up near Goldthwaite for deer and over in Hutto for hogs. If you ever need another gun to go after hogs, please let me know. :-)

reynoldsfamily3
01-07-2015, 08:58 PM
I have been playing with a Rifle Craft RS2 sling. It is my first loop sling, so I am still learning, but so far I like it a lot for stability and is comfortable for carry, but not as comfortable as a nice padded sling. Interesting all the Texas boys on this topic, I'm from Alpine, way west of you guys.

Robinhood
01-07-2015, 09:05 PM
I'm from Alpine

You don't have to rub it in.....Possibly the most beautiful area in Texas. I played some baseball games at Sul Ross back in the day.

Tony1776
01-07-2015, 09:05 PM
Torchrider - Wow Goldthwaite!! Good ol' Mills County. I have relatives around there and Mullin, g. Unfortunately, no land to hunt on in the family there. Beautiful county as is Mason. Alpine is very nice as well! Keep us posted on your hunts around Goldthwaite. I've always thought it could offer some nice hunting ....

Reynoldsfamily3 - The wife and I love Alpine and have been there many many times to get away and relax. Love the area totally with Marfa (still looking for those lights!), Big Bend, Ft. Davis and all places in between. Lucky you!!

jpdown
01-07-2015, 09:16 PM
I like the "Montana Gun Slings" the best. Their tag line says it all - "Tight to Shoulder - Ready in Seconds"

TORCHRIDER
01-07-2015, 10:45 PM
I like the "Montana Gun Slings" the best. Their tag line says it all - "Tight to Shoulder - Ready in Seconds"

Hey jpdown, those Montana slings get some rave reviews. I may have to try one out. I like the idea of leather. Thanks for the recommendation.

Tony1776
01-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Just checked the Montana slings out as well. I like them .... Price is good too ...

reynoldsfamily3
01-08-2015, 10:32 AM
You don't have to rub it in.....Possibly the most beautiful area in Texas. I played some baseball games at Sul Ross back in the day.

We came out to visit and haven't left. We love it here, not so much the ice we have been getting lately, but at least it is moisture so can't complain too much.
Did you play a Kokernot park or were you before it was built?

reynoldsfamily3
01-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Reynoldsfamily3 - The wife and I love Alpine and have been there many many times to get away and relax. Love the area totally with Marfa (still looking for those lights!), Big Bend, Ft. Davis and all places in between. Lucky you!![/QUOTE]

Tony
Lights are there. I was skeptical but saw them last summer...weird to say the least.

Tony1776
01-08-2015, 08:36 PM
I've looked several times but don't think I've ever seen the Marfa lights. I believe they are there and I will check it out next time I'm over that way ..... take care ...

FEENIX
01-08-2015, 11:20 PM
I just have my 1st Safari sling and it works like a champ ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwn6Kfno7o

Tony1776
01-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Nice looking sling!!

Todd727
01-12-2015, 10:35 PM
Eric Ching devleoped the Galco Safari Ching Sling so that you wouldn't have to have three swivels like his original Ching Sling. Might be worth a look.

upSLIDEdown
01-13-2015, 04:57 AM
Mountain Shooter Sling.

dad11345
01-19-2015, 09:41 AM
The Galco Safari Ching Sling will cost you about 80 dollars with the wider front sling swivel you will need. Once you have it your finshed with sling purchases.

TCfromEC
01-19-2015, 09:11 PM
I have a Vanguard Hugger Deluxe and I like it very much. It stays on my shoulder when I am running through the brush and that is what I was looking for, something that would stay put and not slide off my shoulder all the time. It has the thump loop that also helps and a design that also acts like a shock absorber and reduces the bounce of the rifle on my shoulder as I walk. I have it on my THXP 11 and it works very well.