PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted Thumbhole or no?

arc1847
09-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Hello all,

I just recently bought my first savage, model 111 in 7mm Rem Mag. I plan to replace the tupperware stock with something a little better (money IS an object in my world). I own rifles in both laminate and walnut, like them both. I've never owned or shot a thumbhole stock and I'm seeking opinions on the pros and cons.

The rifle will be primarily a hunting rifle, some carry, some stand.

Thoughts?

pphreed1
09-12-2009, 07:00 PM
I have 2 thumbholes a 7 61 s&h sporter and a 22 250 with 28 in bull barrel and I like both of them and they both shoot well Fred

outlawkyote
09-12-2009, 09:16 PM
I like thunbhole stocks but not really for hunting. They work fine but conventional stocks are quicker handling. Maybe because I cut my teeth on conventional stocks?

82boy
09-12-2009, 11:07 PM
IMO Thumb-hole stocks are great on a autoloader, but not on a bolt gun. For me I like to work the bolt with my index finger, the is no leverage for the thumb (A place for the thumb to act as a leaver) to work the bolt like this in a thumb-hole stock. (Without moving your hand and arm.) It's just my opinion but, I just don't like thumb-hole stocks on a bolt gun.

Eric in NC
09-13-2009, 08:15 AM
For a bench setup they are great, but for field carry and use (quick offhand shots, etc.) they are not as good as a standard IMHO. If you want cheap, quality stocks - look at the B&C Durramax for a synthetic or the Boyd's JRS for a walnut or laminate stock.

arc1847
09-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks guys. That's kind of what I thought (thumbhole is good for benchrest) but wanted some confirmation since I've never owned one before.

Anyone have opinions on a conversion to a blind magazine as opposed to a DBM?

Forester
09-25-2009, 10:32 AM
I have 2, soon to be 3 thumbhole rifles. I like the most for the heavier recoiling rounds, it seems to help soak up some of that and allow for better control to me. A Boyds thumbhole was the best thing I ever did with my 10ML-II.(and its purty too ::))

For a pure carry rifle though I would not want one because I agree they are not as quick handling. For a stand rifle I am neutral on them.

Now the exception for me, I also have one on a .204 varmint gun, not exactly a recoil monster there. I like it on this gun because it is mostly shot either off a bench, shooting sticks, or prone and the stock works well then.